Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Woody and Rudy

+13 HS
Northern Nevada Buck's picture
March 6, 2017 at 2:52am
12 Comments

I was watching some film of the 1967 OSU/ichigan game and noticed a player named Rudy Hubbard. I looked him up and was amazed at his story. His biggest day was as a Buckeye was that last game. He was very resentful of Woody for playing him so little during his career...and said so at a banquet Woody attended. Soon thereafter Woody hired Rudy as the first African-American coach at OSU. Rudy was responsible for helping land Archie Griffin, coached six years at OSU and then won National Championships at Florida A&M. This "Rudy" story is a hell of a lot better than the ND one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Clevealnd.com 2013 story

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2013/09/football_racism_and_an_unbreak.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The emperor of Ohio State football would periodically check on his players after dark to ensure they were studying.

So one night when a tailback named Rudy Hubbard hosted a poker game in his dorm with a few teammates and a couple of non-players who smoked cigarettes, the telling taps on the door shot pangs of hot fear into Rudy's belly.

He knew those knuckles belonged to Woody Hayes, and the coach tossed everyone out of the room. Everyone but Rudy. After heaving an ashtray at the wall, he sat Rudy down and told him that if any other authority caught him pulling this garbage, he would have been dismissed from the team.

To this day, one regret haunts Rudy Hubbard.

It isn't that he unleashed his temper on the night watchman who shoved a pistol into his spine. It isn't that he left Ohio State to coach at Florida A&M. It isn't that he opted not to retaliate against those who burned a cross in his front yard.

Rudy never asked Woody why he offered him a coaching job. At the time, it didn't add up.

"I wish at some point I had gone to him and asked him what he was thinking," Rudy says. "I never did. I've thought about it a lot since."

Rudy arrived at Ohio State in 1964 with aspirations to play professional football like his idol, Jim Brown. However, he spent most of his time blocking for Jim Otis, Paul Hudson or Bo Rein. In his final game in 1967, a 24-14 win at Michigan, Rudy rushed for 103 yards and two touchdowns, matching his career total.

The performance validated what Rudy had thought all along, that he could excel as the focal point of an offense. After the game, assistant coach Larry Catuzzi, aware of Rudy's frustration, asked him: "You're glad to be leaving here, right?"

His high school held a banquet that winter to honor his college achievements. Rudy stood before friends, family and former classmates and delivered a rant fueled by the animosity that flowed through his veins for four years as he watched quarterbacks hand the ball elsewhere.

"I was disenchanted," Rudy says. "I thought I would have a much better career than what I had."

Woody was in attendance, but Rudy didn't care. He figured he would never again see his old coach, since his eligibility expired.

"He was not afraid to speak his mind," says former Ohio State running back Archie Griffin. "He never has been. I think Coach Hayes respected that about Rudy."

Rudy returned to Columbus to finish his degree in physical education. A few weeks later, Woody called him and made an appointment to meet with him. The coach never supplied a reason for the rendezvous, but Rudy figured Woody planned to admonish him for his heated remarks at the reception.

Instead, Woody offered Rudy the opportunity to be the first African-American football coach at Ohio State.

"I was blown away," Rudy says.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 12 Comments