Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

You try to raise them right and sometimes it works out OK.

+32 HS
DePasta's picture
February 13, 2017 at 10:30pm
27 Comments

My daughter current freshman contributed an article to the Odyssey blog for Ohio State. I thought it worthy of sharing  She has always made me proud...sniff, I got something in my eye.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/what-football-has-taught-me

Football has always been more than just a game to me.

Growing up, a main part of my childhood was going to football games with my dad. I remember my first game, a top 10 matchup between the Ohio State University and the University of Texas. I was 5-years-old and was clad in my denim skirt and Ohio State t-shirt, my cheeks covered in temporary tattoos, topped off with a visor my dad had just bought at the gift shop. We got to the game early, as my dad always did, and I got my first glimpse of the Ohio State campus. I took many pictures in front of the historic mirror lake, the William Oxley statue outside of the library and of course outside the historic stadium. I was taught that when someone greeted you with an "OH" that you would reply with a loud and proud "IO." I learned the strategic clapping pattern that followed along with the fight song and script Ohio as well as the words to "Carmen Ohio."

I could feel the excitement among the fans and the electricity in the air. I found it fascinating that this sporting event could bring so many people together and everyone shared the common bond that they were here to see the Ohio State Buckeyes play and hopefully win. We watched as Lee Corso made his pick for who would win the game and then it was time to head into the stadium for the game. Ohio State lost the game that night, but that night was only the beginning to my love story with football.

I owe the game of football many thanks. Watching football games has always been a reason for my family to come together. For big games, we used to go to my grandparents house, who are also both Ohio State alumni. We would then retreat to our respective rooms to watch the game in peace. No matter the outcome of the game, we would be together as a family.

Football has also created some of the best memories of my childhood with my father. Making the three hour drive to Columbus, Ohio from Louisville, Kentucky as my dad played his music, particularly Dave Matthews Band, was always an enjoyable experience for me. Our love for football was something that we had in common and I believe it brought us closer.

When I left for college, it was a very strange feeling no longer being able to go to football games with my family. However, football is still part of my identity and I believe that, as cliche as it sounds, has contributed to who I am today. I still get butterflies during the months of September to January knowing that Ohio State will take the field every Saturday and I will be apart of a community that shares in the pride and tradition of this university.

So thank you football, for being more than just a game.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 27 Comments