Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Looking back: 1st half offensive blues

+1 HS
BuckeyeRocket's picture
January 2, 2017 at 2:44pm
23 Comments

Maybe we should not have been shocked to see our Buckeyes struggle on offense in the Fiesta Bowl. While we looked good against Oklahoma and Nebraska (and against hapless BG and Rutgers), this team often had problems scoring -- especially in the first half.

Taking out the defensive scores (Thank you Mr. Hooker) here is our output in the first half of some key games

Tulsa 6

Wisconsin 6

Penn State 7

MSU 10

TTUN 0

Clemson 0

Six games against some very good defenses and the offense scored a total of 29 first half points. What kind of "game plans" were being developed? This tells me the team (a) was not ready to play and (b) had poor schemes/scouting. Somehow we won 4 of those games.

While we love to criticize the coaches, here is one other sobering thought: Maybe these guys were not as good as we viewed them.  We should have seen depth problems on the O-line when a true freshman got the start at LG. While I agree with those saying Beck must go, we need to realize that the offensive problems on this team run deep and there is likely no quick fix.

Maybe we need to have the QB under center at times and add some variety. I am a little tired of seeing the read option as our main running play.

I look forward to film study this week to continue the post-mortem examination.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments