Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

NFL Draft Hopes For Buckeyes

0 HS
knoch11's picture
December 4, 2015 at 7:27am
29 Comments

We would all like to see the first 32 draft picks be Buckeyes, but realistically I wanted to layout where I believe each of the draftable tOSU players could be drafted and where they would be put in place for the most amount of success. I looked over 8 different mock drafts for 2016 and included all 12 players that were included in alt least one of the drafts, or many times more. All have been updated within the last month and therefor are reasonably up do date. Note: Not all drafts went all 7 rounds so if a player isn't drafted in all of them, it merely means that they didn't fit into the amount of rounds they included in their draft).

Joey Bosa (Drafted in 8/8 Mocks; Average Slot: 2.5)

1. Cowboys     2. Cowboys     3. Titans

Analysis: Bosa is a consensus top-4 pick and therefor I must be realistic with where he ends up. There are plenty of other places I would rather see him go, but being so talented comes with it's pitfalls. The Cowboys, depending on how they finish out the season, could be the owners of a top-5 pick and therefor I believe Joey would be lucky to land in such a spot. While I'm not much of a Dallas fan, it's brand is nationally recognized and to have a Buckeye be a face of such a franchise could do many wonders for the Ohio State brand. Titans would be okay, I guess. Browns could use him, but I never wish that upon Buckeyes (no matter how much I love my Browns).

Taylor Decker (Drafted in 8/8 Mocks; Average Slot: 16)

1. Colts     2. Buccaneers     3. Raiders

Analysis: Anytime I see an offensive lineman drafted from Ohio State, I immediately want to see that the team has a young foundation and therefor welcomes them onto the ground floor of future successes. The Colts (Luck), Bucs (Winston), and the Raiders (Carr) are all built for the future, but each could use some extra protection.

Ezekiel Elliott (Drafted in 8/8 Mocks; Average Slot: 17.4)

1. Cowboys     2. Texans     3. Colts

Analysis: On the flip side of the coin, if the Cowboys finish strong and fall back in the draft, they are a team in desperate need of a RB and at the same time possess possibly the best offensive line in the NFL.  The Texans seem to be the most frequent holder of his card in mock drafts and it's obvious why, with Foster's injury problems. The Colts, with Luck, could use a RB after Gore retires and Elliott could be in on something big. However, that offensive line is horrendous at the moment and I would prefer Elliott is given a chance to succeed.

Adolphus Washington (Drafted in 7/8 Mocks; Average Slot: 50.3)

1. Panthers     2. Cardinals   3. Bengals

Analysis: This is where things begin to get more opinionated because it depends heavily on where one believes he will be drafted. Panthers give him the best chance to succeed individually and as a teammate due to their solid presence inside with Short and Lotuleilei. Washington is flexible and can move back to the edge if needed. Point being that pressure will not be on him upon entrance. The Cardinals and Bengals have solid defenses and have a history of succeeding with their draft picks.

Michael Thomas (Drafted in 7/8 Mocks; Average Slot: 28)

1. Ravens     2. Panthers     3. Vikings

Analysis: If it weren't for his lack of top end speed, Thomas would be a top-10 pick. His ceiling may be limited, but his floor is very high. The Ravens and Panthers each have established QB's but no #1 Receiver. If drafted by the Vikings, he could raise their stock with growing QB Bridgewater and complimenting young WR Diggs.

Darron Lee (Drafted in 5/8 Drafts; Average Slot: 38.2)

1. Cardinals     2. Bengals     3. Colts

Analysis: Again, the Cardinals and Bengals have established defenses and are efficient in turning their 1st Round picks into a success. The Colts NEED defenders, and Lee could definitely help, but it would strongly depend on who is coaching them.

Vonn Bell (Drafted in 5/8 Mocks; Average Slot: 49.8)

1. Bengals     2. Steelers     3. Ravens

Analysis: In a world where need meets talent, Vonn Bell seems destined for the AFC North. All three have a historical reputation for defense, so Bell should be in good hands regardless. The Steelers have a tendency to draft Buckeyes, so if I had to bet money, I'd say he's heading to Pittsburgh.

Joshua Perry (Drafted in 3/8 Mocks; Average Slot: 63)

1. Colts     2. Cardinals     3. Bengals

Analysis: See Darron Lees, but take into account that Perry is less likely to start immediately with the Bengals or Cardinals.

Pat Elflein (Drafted in 3/8 Mocks: Average Slot: 70.3)

1. Buccaneers    2. Broncos     3. Bengals

Analysis: Elflein may not be leaving, but he was included in 3 of the mocks. Again, I hope for fit as well as potential future success by looking at the age and talent of the QB when a Buckeye OL is drafted. Winston, Osweiler, and Dalton seem to be the future  and on teams that need protection.

Braxton Miller (Drafted in 3/8 Mocks; Average Slot: 90)

1. Panthers     2. Patriots     3. Vikings

Analysis: Cam Newton seems to be becoming the new Tom Brady in that he can take lemons of wide receivers and make lemonade. Not to mention, Miller could be the 3rd amigo of tOSU receivers in Carolina (Ginn and Philly). On that note, Brady could make much use of Braxton, but I wonder how much longer he will play. And as for the Vikings, Braxton is a WR in the same mold as Stefon Diggs and they seem to be putting him the right position to succeed this year. Why couldn't they do the same with Miller?

Nick Vannett (Drafted in 2/8 Mocks; Average Slot: 139)

1. Packers     2. Broncos     3. Patriots

Analysis: Vannett is going to be a hidden gem. He's not going to go in any early rounds. The Packers could use a raw tight end for Rodgers to turn into a star, as could the Broncos (despite drafting Heuerman last year). As the for the Patriots, if Gronk continues to have injury issues, it doesn't hurt to have a young, formidable backup.

Cardale Jones (Drafted in 1/8 Mocks; Average Slot: 54)

1. Steelers     2. Chargers     3. Eagles

Analysis: The one we've all pondered. One of the mock drafts dared to have Cardale drafted in the 2nd round to the Jets, giving him qualifications to be on this list. However, the only way Cardale will succeed in the NFL is if he is put behind a successful QB for a time where he can grow in a pro system. Roethlisberger and Rivers both would provide him with a cover the learn under before actually taking the reigns to a team. I only included the Eagles because Cardale is relatively mobile and could be of use in Chip Kelly's system. However there is NOBODY there for him to learn from and who knows how long Kelly will even be coach there.                                                       

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 29 Comments