Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Questions/Thoughts about our Passing Game

0 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
December 2, 2015 at 9:21am
55 Comments

I'm confused about our pass game philosophy, especially this year.  It's often mentioned by Urban Meyer that he wants to get the ball to athletes in space & that he wants to go downfield on play-action passes.  Our offense didn't appear to do that much this year.  I know we have it in our playbook, especially more so during 2014.  

First:  Why does it seem our offense associates play-action passing with deep routes? Why not use that play-action to hit the TE over the middle on a skinny post that could go for 7-15 yards? Why not use play action to hit Michael Thomas on a 10-yard hook or Jalin Marshall on a 15-yard square in?  Our offensive line struggled more in pass protection...the deep routes take a long time to develop. 7-yard slants, 10-yard hooks, 15-yard square ins, TE skinny post don't take as long to develop.  Yet the pros (and at times our offense) throw to these routes off play action.  I believe this type of play action would have us beat Sparty by two touchdowns. 

Second: If we want to get the ball to athletes in space, what happened to the screen game & the option game (that Curtis Samuel is especially good at) & the passing the ball to Zeke in the flats?  These plays never seemed to lead to negative yardage, most of the time they seemed to gain at least 3 to 4 yards.  These plays seem to be especially favorable to JT's skill set as a QB.  

I know what we want to do in the run game. That's been very consistent in all of Urban's tenure. But I honestly don't truly know what we really want to do in the pass game. Or rather, we appear to run power and mostly throw deep off play action.  Though we have other more successful plays in our playbook, we seem to be pretty stubborn about the deep ball.  

What do you all think?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 55 Comments