Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Top 100 Ohio State Players: No. 98

Matt Gutridge's picture
June 2, 2015 at 5:59pm
14 Comments

There are 98 days that separate us from Ohio State's march to Blacksburg. To help pass the time until the Buckeyes put the Sandman to sleep I will countdown Ohio State's top 100 players according to the rubric* listed at the bottom of this article.

Greg Bellisari is arguably Ohio State's smartest linebacker.

Greg Bellisari is arguably Ohio State's smartest linebacker.

No. 98 GREG BELLISARI, LB (1993-96)
Born:
 1975 (Boca Raton, FL)
High School: Boca Raton

OHIO STATE CAREER

• The Buckeyes were 41-8-1 with Bellisari on the team.
  • 1993 Big Ten Title.
  • 1996 Big Ten Title.
  • 1997 Defeated No. 4 Arizona State 20-17 to win the Rose Bowl.

HONORS

• 1996 Captain.
  • 1996 National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame Scholarship Winner.
  • 1996 Academic All-American.
  • 1996 Academic All-Big Ten.
  • 1995 Academic All-American.
  • 1995 Academic All-Big Ten.
  • 1994 Academic All-Big Ten.

NFL Draft
Not selected in the 1997 NFL Draft.

Bellisari's last game in a Buckeye uniform was the 1997 Rose Bowl victory.

Bellisari's last game in a Buckeye uniform was the 1997 Rose Bowl victory.

GREG BELLISARI'S RECRUITMENT PER THE SUN-SENTINEL.COM:

Although he said family pressure played no role in his decision, Greg Bellisari will continue family tradition and attend Ohio State.

Bellisari, a Class  4A All-State linebacker from Boca Raton High who earned the Sun-Sentinel`s Defensive Player of the Year award, made an oral commitment to the Buckeyes at 11 p.m. Tuesday and announced his decision Wednesday afternoon.
[...]

``It`s my dream and goal  to start next year and Ohio State had the best opportunity for me in that respect,`` Bellisari said.

Bellisari selected Ohio State over Florida State, his other finalist. Michigan was eliminated at 10 p.m. Tuesday, while Florida and Georgia were crossed off earlier in the night. Despite the family ties, the Buckeyes started as a long shot when the recruiting process began.

"Ohio State came from the last position to the first," Bellisari said. "They had the toughest job to do to impress me because of my dad."

Dr. Bellisari

Dr. Bellisari

TODAY GREG BELLISARI IS KNOWN AS DR. BELLISARI. HIS BIO PAGE PER OHIO-ORTHO.COM:

Dr. Greg Bellisari is an orthopedic surgeon with fellowship training in Sports Medicine. A Florida Native, he completed undergraduate training and medical school at The Ohio State University.
[...]

Dr. Bellisari has highly trained arthroscopic experience in orthopedic conditions
of the knee, shoulder, and elbow as well as in reconstructive surgery. As a former professional athlete himself, Dr. Bellisari shares a passion for athletics and for athletes of all levels of play. He adds, "I am dedicated to getting athletes back on the field of play and people back to the activities they enjoy". In his free time he enjoys spending time with his wife and four children.

Surgical procedures include:
• Knee Arthroscopy
• Complex Knee and Revision Surgery
• Shoulder and Elbow Arthroscopy
• Shoulder and Elbow Replacement

GREG BELLISARI'S POINTS
CATEGORY POINTS
HEISMAN  
NO. RETIRED / HONORED  
BIG TEN MVP  
TEAM MVP  
ALL-AMERICAN  
CAPTAIN 4
1ST ROUND NFL DRAFT PICK  
ALL-BIG TEN  
ACADEMIC ALL-AMERICAN 6
NFL DRAFT PICK  
ACADEMIC ALL-BIG TEN 3
LETTER 1

TOTAL 14

For more information on Bellisari and other players who wore No. 30 check out Andy Vance's article from 2013.

Sources- The Ohio State Team Guideohio-orhot.com and The Sun-Sentinel.com

THE RUBRIC
CATEGORY POINTS
HEISMAN 8
NO. RETIRED / HONORED 8
B1G MVP 6
TEAM MVP 5
ALL-AMERICAN 4
CAPTAIN 4
1ST ROUND NFL DRAFT PICK 4
ALL-BIG TEN 3
ACADEMIC ALL-AMERICAN 3
NFL DRAFT PICK 2
ACADEMIC ALL-BIG TEN 1
LETTER 0.25 PER YEAR

ALL PLAYERS COVERED TO DATE

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments