Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Pregame Traditions/Superstitions

0 HS
Citrus's picture
January 8, 2015 at 1:18pm
37 Comments

Hello All,

As the National Championship is a few days away marking the final and most important game of the season, I thought it a good time to discuss the various individual traditions and superstitions we have. Such things are part of what make sports fun. Some are silly, but the world is so damn serious, a little silly can soothe the soul. My tradition (I'll detail it below) is something I hope to hand down to my hypothetical offspring someday. Ritual bonds us to the things we love and to each other.

My traditions:

The Flag.
I co-own an Ohio Flag with a buddy. She is named Sandy. The name of the flag is chosen by taking the flag to its first game and approaching an old military vet and asking him the name of his wife, or first girlfriend. The flag keeps its name until TTUN prevails in a football game against he Buckeyes. Sandy's exploits are recorded in a leather ledger. Sandy comes with us to all of the games we can make. She was at the Nick Saban Statue and the Sugar Bowl. Although I can't make it, I've sent her to the NC game.
The Flag has many rules. For instance, she must drink a drop of whiskey for those who can't be present before the game.

Consuming your enemy.

On road games, I eat something from the region we are playing against. For the Sugar Bowl, I stopped in Tuscaloosa and ate at Dreamland BBQ. For the NC I've bought some Oregonian beer. I look at as eating the enemy's power sorta how Crusaders ate croissants.

I never bet the Buckeyes.
Never. Its bad ju-ju.

What are your traditions?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 37 Comments