Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Dustin Fox and William White

Matt Gutridge's picture
July 24, 2014 at 9:02am
5 Comments

37 days separate us from Ohio State's first game of the 2014 season at Navy. Below you will find a list of the 29 players who have worn the No. 37 for the Buckeyes. Today's featured players are William White and Dustin Fox.

White's career after football is arguably more successful and rewarding than his time between the lines. That is saying a lot because he was a great player at Ohio State and played in the NFL for 11 seasons.

William White started all four years at Ohio State. He was named captain in 1987.

William White started all four years at Ohio State. He was named captain in 1987.

William White, S (1984-87)
Born: 
1966 (Lima)
High School: Lima

Ohio State
The Buckeyes were 34-13-1 with White on the team.
1984 Big Ten Title.
1986 Big Ten Title.
1985 Defeated BYU 10-7 in the Citrus Bowl.
1987 Defeated Texas A&M 28-12 in the Cotton Bowl.
Went 2-2 against That Team.

Honors
1988 Dr. St. Pierre Award from the Metallurgical Department.
1987 Captain.
1987 All-Big Ten.
1987 Cotton Bowl Scholar Athlete.
1985 Academic All-Big Ten

William White's Ohio State and NFL career per his Lima Hall of Fame Induction Program:

After graduation from Lima Senior, William White entered the Ohio State University on a football scholarship. He not only played immediately but earned a place on the first string his freshman year. He retained that starting position as a defensive back all four years and kept up his scholastic efforts as well.

William was on the Academic All Big Ten Team in 1986 and 1987. In those two years, he received the Best Student Athlete/Arnie Chonko Awards. In 1987, he was selected as the Cotton Bowl Scholar Athlete. When he graduated from The Ohio State University, he received the prestigious Dr. St. Pierre Award from the Metallurgical Department.

White started in Super Bowl XXXIII for the Atlanta Falcons.

White started in Super Bowl XXXIII for the Atlanta Falcons.

In 1988, William White was drafted by the Detroit Lions of the National Football League. He played there through six seasons and was named the Detroit Lions Edge NFL Man of the Year in 1992. He then played three seasons for the Kansas City Chiefs and two for the Atlanta Falcons.

He took the field as a starter at the strong safety position in the 1999 Super Bowl with the Falcons, leading the team on defense with nine tackles in that game. Clearly, everything begins with attitude and his remained strong after eleven years in the league.

William White's influence on young adults per his Lima Hall of Fame Induction Program:

White stresses the importance of having a positive attitude to young adults.

White stresses the importance of having a positive attitude to young adults.

William White is not and never has been just a one-dimensional athlete. Not only does he speak to school groups, but he is also currently a Board Member of Athletes in Action, a ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ International. He is also a Board Member of Johnson C. Smith Theological Seminary.

“Everything starts with your attitude. Your attitude is the beginning of who you’re going to be.” This is what William White tells young people when he motivational talks at schools, and this is what has led him, from an early age, to his own achievements. During all of his early years, attitude earned William good grades and starting positions on athletic teams. After excelling in elementary and junior high school, he went on to star in both football and basketball at Lima Senior.

William White helping kids per Tim May of The Columbus Dispatch (6-20-2012):

Terrell West is only 11 years old, but he’s old enough to know that getting to take part in the Ohio State football youth camp is a golden opportunity for a youngster.

“The coolest thing about it is, I’ve never actually been to a college stadium,” West said after yesterday’s session in the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. “This is a new experience for me in life, and I love it.”

Such comments were music to the ears of William White, a standout defensive back at Ohio State in the mid-1980s who went on to spend 11 seasons in the NFL.

William White helped raise enough money to give scholarships to 49 worthy kids who participated at Columbus Parks and Recreation.

William White helped raise enough money to give scholarships to 49 worthy kids who participated at Columbus Parks and Recreation. .

White, 46, serves as a celebrity spokesman for a Columbus Recreation and Parks Department program for youths from low-income families.

Rather than be a spokesman yesterday, however, White’s role was fill-in chauffeur as he transported a dozen youngsters to and from the camp, which ends today with a session in Ohio Stadium.

[...]

“I made them all understand when we started (Monday), all these other 600 kids in this session, they paid $500 or so to be here, and you guys are getting to come here for free, so appreciate it,” White said. “They all got really big eyes, and I told them, ‘That’s why you need to work extremely hard.’

“But these are good kids. There was a criteria set forth, and they all met it.”

Chosen by the directors at city recreation centers, the scholarship winners had to have at least a B average in school, White said, and be involved in community work through programs at the centers.

“These kids, they’re me. It was parks and rec that kept me out of trouble growing up (in Lima), getting involved in programs in the summer, keeping me busy doing something that was structured,” White said.

[…]

Urban Meyer at a youth camp at Ohio State

Meyer thinks the experience for the kids is “absolutely priceless.”

Another of White’s passengers, 11-year-old Curtis Bush of Columbus, said there is much to like about the camp.

“It is very cool,” he said. “We got to meet some of the Ohio State players, and we got to meet Urban Meyer. He seems like he’s a good person.”

William White's career after football and the announcement of being hired by Project Lead The Way per pltw.org:

...Today, PLTW is pleased to announce that William White is joining our organization as Regional Vice President, Midwest Region. White comes to PLTW from The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, where he has served as the Development Director for the College of Engineering for the past two years.

“It is with great excitement that I have accepted a position with Project Lead The Way,” White said. “There is a significant challenge facing our country right now. If we do not act and work to provide all students with access to PLTW’s high-quality STEM programs, not only will students suffer, but our country will as well. We are faced with an opportunity to improve outcomes for America’s children and lift up the U.S. economy as a result.

William White is striving to challenge and recruit students to take higher level college courses as the Midwest Regional Vice President of Project Lead The Way.

William White is striving to challenge and recruit students to take higher level college courses as the Midwest Regional Vice President of Project Lead The Way.

As the Director of Development for The Ohio State University’s College of Engineering, White has assisted with recruitment of high school seniors for the program. Prior to this role, White built a successful career in sales and business development. From 2001 through 2010, White served as a Director of Trazer Technologies Inc., a world leader in the use of computer-based simulation for the improvement of health, physical performance and fitness. He is also a founding member of Traq, Ltd, a new fitness center primarily focused on addressing the childhood obesity crisis.

[…]

White holds a bachelor’s of science degree in Metallurgical Engineering from The Ohio State University.

[…]

White currently serves as a board member of The Ohio State University’s Varsity O and has served on the boards of the Big Ten Conference Advisory Commission, Athletes in Action, and the Johnson C. Smith Theological Seminary. He is the 2011 Fellowship of Christian Athlete Legend Award Winner and has received numerous academic and athletic awards throughout his career. White also runs his own charity, Carter/White Charities, Inc., to give inner city youth access to football camps.

PLTW is proud to have White joining the organization’s outstanding staff of dedicated professionals, educators, and leaders. Please join us in welcoming William White to PLTW.

Sources- The Ohio State Team Guide, Lima Hall of Fame Induction Program, Project Lead The Way and The Columbus Dispatch

Dustin Fox was a member of the 2002 National Championship team.

Dustin Fox was a member of the 2002 National Championship team.

Dustin Fox, CB (2001-04)
Born: 
1982 (Canton)
High School: GlenOak

Ohio State
The Buckeyes were 40-11 with Fox on the team.
2002 National Champion.
2002 Big Ten Title.
2003 Defeated Miami 31-24 (2OT) in the Fiesta Bowl National Championship Game.
2004 Defeated Kansas State 35-28 in the Fiesta Bowl.
2004 Defeated Oklahoma State 33-7 in the Alamo Bowl.
Went 3-1 against That Team.

Honors
2004 Captain.
2004 Academic All-Big Ten.
2003 Academic All-Big Ten.
2002 Academic All-Big Ten.

Why Dustin Fox was considered one of the most interesting people in 2012 per clevelandmagazine.com:

Brotherly love.

.../ Tough love / After a youth football coach told 10-year-old Dustin he wasn’t tough enough, Derek, who was five years older, took him out in the front yard in his football gear. “He started wailing on me,” Fox recalls. “Stuff like that makes you appreciate having a sibling.”

[...]

/ On Urban Meyer / “It’s the splash they needed. Urban Meyer is going to bring a lot of offense to Ohio State, but the biggest thing he’s going to bring is recruiting.”

Excerpts from a 2012 interview Dustin Fox did with Eleven Warriors' Alex:

Obviously this is the 10 year anniversary for the 2002 National Championship team. Who do you still consistently talk to from that team?

Mike Doss

I'm still friends with all the guys when I see them around, but the people I talk to all the time are Mike Doss, Brandon Joe, Simon Fraser, Tim Anderson, and Maurice Hall.

How excited are you for the reunion at the Michigan game? Are there any guys from that team you're really looking forward to seeing?

It's going to be fun. I didn't know about it until Doss told me it was happening for sure the other day, but I'm excited. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone, but maybe Maurice Clarett, if I had to pick one. I haven't seen him in about 10 years. 

[...]

Looking back on that special season, what is the one play or moment that stands out to you?

Holy Buckeye, no question. I actually went back and watched it the other day.

What were you thinking right before that play?

Holy Buckeye

There was so little time left and fourth and one, I don't know, it happened so many times that year. I thought the game was going to be over, but when Krenzel threw the ball and it was in the air, I had a feeling something special was going to happen and it did.

Was there a play of yours that you look back on and think helped or played a big part in preserving perfection?

Oh man, there were a bunch of plays we all made that year. I'd probably have to say my interception in the Fiesta Bowl. That was a special moment for me.

Speaking of the championship game, what was the team's mindset heading into that contest?

We just took on the underdog mentality. We were disrespected and that put a chip on our shoulder. We wanted to prove everyone wrong.

Be honest, how much trash talking went on in that game?

It was pretty much all them. They were arrogant. Kellen Winslow talked so much smack that game.

[...]

Who was faster: you or Chris Gamble?

Faster than Gamble?

Faster than Gamble?

I don't know, that's a good question. I'd say me, but I know he'd say him. In reality, the fastest guy on the team was actually Drew Carter.

[...]

What are your thoughts on Urban Meyer at Ohio State?

We've had him on the show a few times and I've also been able to meet him a couple times. He's a winner. He's going to win a lot of games at Ohio State and man can he recruit.

Through the first couple games, what are your thoughts on the 2012 Buckeyes?

They were good enough.

The Bucks are a good team. They're not there yet, though. I hear a lot of people talking about them going undefeated, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. The schedule is definitely favorable for them, but it's still going to be tough with some good opponents and tough road games ahead.

Sources- The Ohio State Team Guide, clevelandmagazine.com and Eleven Warriors

Go here to see the list of players who wore No. 37 and the players who were selected in the NFL draft.

The Game

127 days until The Game.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 5 Comments