Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU coaches fudging some on promises?

0 HS
allinosu's picture
February 12, 2014 at 11:26am
55 Comments

I remember the hype that OSU doesn't look to redshirt. That they were looking for players to step in and contribute. I got to say I was a little surprised on how many as well as which ones were redshirted. One of these I feel contributed to us losing Mitchell. I know his father is not well and I fully agree that family comes first and foremost but his condition is long term and was such when his father encouraged him  to go to OSU if that was his wish. Yes things may have worsened but I think his unhappiness over the redshirt threw him over the top. After he recovered from injury he sat and watch a pitiful LB replacement crew from the sideline. And with the hype of the winning streak, the big 10 championship game, the bowl game and knowing he could contribute, he had to be discouraged. I would think one would feel less connected watching than being a part of what's going on. Being connected is a good motivator.  Honestly, I don't know if players have to agree to a redshirt or not but Mike was known to be a fierce competitor so he had to be somewhat reluctant. I also was under the impression it was supposed to be in the athletes best interest not the teams. We really don't know why players like Apple redshirt other than what we are told but I hope it was for their reasons. I mean with our defense it wasn't like they couldn't contribute. One would think in redshirting you would have to be careful because losing a player could happen. I think things go a little beyond Mike, Dontre considers himself decoy player of the year after he was told he was going to be played like Percy Harvin. It was said in jest but I think it was deeper than that. What about waiting for the bowl game to start Bell with our ailing defensive play. Elliot turned into a decoy when things got dicey. Some of the things out of these players' mouths sounded as though this is not what they were promised. One must figure we don't hear most of it. Some of this is speculation and I know it goes on everywhere along with some sour grapes. Anyway I hope Mitchell finds success and quality time with his father.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 55 Comments