Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Is There Discord Between Sensabaugh and Holtmann/Upperclassmen?

+17 HS
Cooper's picture
February 10, 2023 at 10:25am
73 Comments

I want to preface this with me saying I thought Brice was going to be a bucket even before his Kingdom League 50 burger, and I still think he has lottery pick potential. A few have mentioned there has to be more going on behind the scenes and I wanted to create a discussion for that.

Brice is clearly the most talented scorer, he is the only true three-level scorer on the team, and he overall is a ton of fun to watch. Having said that, it is also clear he has a lot of freshman immaturity. He forces things too much on the offensive end which disrupts the flow of other players and the offense in general, he picks up silly frustration fouls 90 feet from the opponent's basket after he misses a shot, and he is the worst defensive player on the team. All of these things are fixable and can be expected from such a talented freshman, but instead of Holtmann actually working him through it, he has just shot Brice's confidence, which may have materialized into some of the toxic-ness we're seeing in the program, culminating in Brice only playing 16 minutes last night.

There have been instances where I noticed Brice and the veterans on the team may not get along, especially Justice. Not only have the veterans shown zero leadership during this skid, I also see some resentment growing between them and Brice (i.e. Brice slamming the ball at halftime of a recent game because Justice was doing lord knows what with the ball). 

Overall, I see an immensely talented player who needs to grow up a bit, but also a coach and teammates who are doing an absolutely awful job of guiding him through a development process. I see veterans who have either completely given up or just simply don't have the personality to lead a team (which is fine if that is their overall disposition in life I guess, it just isn't going to win you any games).

Above all, I see a coach who has completely lost the team, can't lead, and can't design a damn after timeout out of bounds play. It Holtmann's plan was to have Brice leave after one season, it is going great because he is either declaring for the draft or sabotaging his season to the point where Brice will transfer to greener pastures. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 73 Comments