Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Time for OSU to Cut Ties with Holtmann

+31 HS
bstadnik's picture
February 9, 2023 at 10:21pm
191 Comments

This team is disgustingly bad. Holtmann has lost this team and his rotations are atrocious. He lets Ice stay on the court and he brought nothing tonight. McNeil was awful and yet he stays out there. Gayle gave some energy in the first half and disappeared on the bench for the second. No Brown tonight either. Bruce had his very first really bad game tonight. 

One thing I never see mentioned when talking about OSU basketball under Holtmann is the fact that in almost every game OSU will go on 4-7 minute scoring drought. No points at all, not occasionally, but every single game. This is a high D1 program and they can’t get a single point for long stretches of every game. This is not a new thing either, this has plagued OSU for every season he has been coach. 

Bottom line it is apparent that he is way in over his head at this level. His game management and substitution patterns are all over the place. He consistently recruits players who struggle to shoot well. And I’ve never seen a group of players miss more layups than OSU. There are times in the game where you look at the group on the court and wonder who can actually be a threat to score? Ice, I’m sure is a nice person, but when is the last time he’s made a real jump shot? 

The other big issue is that he consistently recruits players with low basketball IQ’s. They take bad shots, dumb fouls and horrible turnovers. I understand that players are different today than they were when I played in college, but at some point Holtmann has to yell at one of these guys, get in the fucking face and if they don’t do what they should then sit their ass on the bench and try someone else. How many times can we watch Zed Key throw up some horrible left hand hook shot? How many times can we watch Ice throw the ball away or miss a layup before you wonder why the fuck he’s on the court at all? How may times can we watch him fuck with the starting lineup? How many times can we watch Sueing jack up another 3 when he’s shooting like 20% from beyond the arc? 

I understand we are a football school, but this is ridiculous. We are right now probably the worst team in the Big Ten. We are Rutgers from 3 years ago. Let that sink in. OSU is the laughingstock of the Big Ten. No tourney this year and this needs to end. Gene Smith, put OSU hoops out of its misery and find another coach to lead this program. 

One final thing about Holtmann. Can you quickly think of a player he’s coached at OSU who kept improving each year? Has Zed Key gotten any better really during his time at OSU? Sueing? The only guy I can think of was EJ Liddell, he improved each year, but most guys in our program never get much better. Look at the other teams in the BT and they have guys who have come thru the transfer portal and do good things, not here. Ice is a bust, McNeil is limited, Holden is a non factor either. Every year they bring in someone who is supposed to help and they end doing squat. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 191 Comments