Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Analysis of the Additions of Tanner Holden and Sean McNeil

+18 HS
bsk33's picture
May 3, 2022 at 6:55pm
59 Comments

Recently, The Athletic's Sam Vecenie gave a breakdown of his Top 50 transfer commits. He had Tanner Holden as #17 and Sean McNeil as #32. I won't share the entire description of each player (it was a very thorough article) but I thought I would share his words under "The Fit" for each player.

Holden: "Under Chris Holtmann, the Buckeyes tended to really feature their best players with a lot of usage. Will Holden be that, or more of just a starter? Holden moves really well off the ball and knows how to create shots that way, which is something osu really hasn't had over the last few years. But in order to best take advantage of that in the Big 10, Holden is going to have to work consistently to extend his range. Being a driver and a cutter is a bit tougher in the Big 10. Holden hit 42% of his catch and shoot jumpers last year, per Synergy, so hopefully he can up his volume on those to round out his game."

McNeil: "Ohio State's post-up friendly is best when it has floor spacers and McNeil was one of the best options in that department. He's an elite shooter. He did his best work at West Virginia in 20-21' when the Mountaineers had better talent around him (Culver, McBride). He goes to a place where he will once again be surrounded by better talent, as OSU has a good interior option in Zed Key, Sueing and fellow transfer Tanner Holden on the wing, and then has a Top 5 recruiting class coming in. McNeil should see better looks than he got this past season, where defenses could basically just key on him and Taz Sherman."

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 59 Comments