Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

All Decade Teams - Thanks Bennyhana311

0 HS
ohioscott's picture
February 13, 2015 at 5:41pm
10 Comments

Thanks Bennyhana311. your post on the dream team inspired me to sit down and do some decade teams. This was fun and brought back some good memories. Please respond with any comments, like which team you think is best/worst/favorite, starters you disagree with, someone I left off, etc. 

For the most part the starters go G/G/F/F/C

Fifties - Robin Freeman, Gene Millard, Dick Schnittker, Frank Howard, Paul Ebert with apologies to Jim Laughlin and Ken Sidle

(I was born in the 50's but never saw any of these players. The great MLB home run hitter Frank Howard is from my alma mater Columbus South. I heard Freeman was fun to watch)

Sixties - Larry Siegfried, John Havlicek, Bill Hosket, Jerry Lucas, Gary Bradds with apologies to Dick Ricketts, Dave Sorenson, Doug McDonald Ron Sepic, and Mel Nowell.

(Big lineup for back then, moved Hondo to guard to get Hosket in. Couldn't get Sorenson in as a starter, wow! I had Dick Ricketts at Columbus South where he coached for years. Some old farts like me will probably argue this is the best team.)

Seventies - Allan Hornyak, Kelvin Ramsey, Jim Cleamons, Bill Andreas, Luke Witte with apologies to Wardell Jackson, Craig Taylor and Larry Bolden

(This may have been the weakest team, especially with 3 guards. But I loved all these players. Could have used Ramsey on the 80's, but this team needed him. Andreas was underrated and the only reason to watch some of those mid-seventies teams)

Eighties - Troy Taylor, Dennis Hopson, Tony Campbell, Clark Kellogg, Herb Williams with apologies to Jerry Francis, Ronnie Stokes, Jim Smith, Carter Scott, Larry Huggins, Brad Sellers, and Jay Burson

(No shortage of scorers here...nice bench. Maybe not the best, but my favorite team)

Nineties - Michael Redd, Scoonie Penn, Jim Jackson, Lawrence Funderburke, Perry Carter with apologies to Chris Jent, Jamaal Brown, Mark Baker, Jason Singleton, and Jamie Skelton

(Many people thought Funderburke was overrated, I thought the opposite)

2000-2009 - Mike Conley Jr, Brian Brown, Evan Turner, Terrence Dials, Greg Oden with apologies to the late Brent Darby, Ken Johnson, Boban Savovic, Jamar Butler, JJ Sullinger, Ron Lewis, and Kosta Koufos

(Wanted to start Darby for sentimental reasons, but Brown was too good to leave off. Probably the best team of the bunch)

2010-2015 - Aaron Craft, William Buford, D'Angelo Russell, Deshaun Thomas, Jared Sullinger with apologies to David Lighty, Jon Diebler, Jae'Sean Tate, Lenzell Smith Jr, Slam Thompson, and Shannon Scott

(I know, 3 guards, but who do I leave off? and who do I play at forward Thompson? Tate? I figure Russell would play swing and he can board. Tate would be a starter if this was done next year and I would play Buford and Russell over Craft, who I love)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 10 Comments