Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics fan talk.

Men's Lacrosse: Utah Preview

+9 HS
beserkr29's picture
February 3, 2024 at 9:36am
49 Comments

Mea culpa, 11W. I had a nice preview, well researched and written, all ready to go. And then lost it. So instead, you get a down and dirty version. You get what you pay for with these, so all I can do is promise to be better next week.

Utah is going to be a tough early matchup for Ohio State. They played Notre Dame very tough last weekend in a tuneup (albeit a Notre Dame team that was down a Kavanagh). Ryan Stines (#6), a sophomore attackman, is looking like the next big thing. If he were to leave Utah, he would command a ton of interest. Had 5 goals against Notre Dame, and is looking like their best option.

That's saying something, because over 90% of their offensive production from 2023 is back. Only one of Utah's top 12 scorers left. So, that's scary. The Utes push in transition, almost recklessly, and want to kill teams early.

Last year, they walloped everyone not in the rankings, except a misstep against Vermont. Utah was then demolished by Notre Dame, but that's very understandable.

Defensively, a lot returns, but the Utes are down at least one starter. From IL's scrimmage recap, the Utes like to be aggressive and slide early. Ohio State's dodgers will need to be quick to pass today.

At goalie, Utah was weakest. Sophomore Colin Lenskold (#16) was under 50% in saves last year, and split time as well. If Ohio State can get shots on met (always a challenge), they will get goals. If the Buckeyes struggle, things could get very dicey.

At faceoff, Utah was great. Cole Brams (#24) won 58% of his draws last year. Obviously, the Buckeyes matchup much better this year with Tommy Burke at the dot. But it's still going to be a battle. The Buckeyes will have to get excellent wing play from their LSMs today to get things going.

All in all, I think this will be a tough, close game. Ohio State will have to avoid getting run off the field early. Caleb Fyock likely starts, and will need to be good in the clear. And someone has to score. We will see who is up for it.

Final prediction: Buckeyes 14, Utah 13.

Almost put in an OT prediction, but I think Ohio State gets it done early, at home.

Game is on BTN+, at noon.

Go Bucks!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 49 Comments