Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics fan talk.

Men's Lacrosse: Rutgers Outlasts Buckeyes, 12-10

+8 HS
beserkr29's picture
May 5, 2022 at 10:37pm
23 Comments

After jumping out to an early lead, thanks to five first quarter goals, Ohio State wheezed its way to the finish line of the season, falling in the Big Ten semifinals to perpetual thorn Rutgers.

The Scarlet Knights were stonewalled all night by the brick wall named Skylar Wahlund, who had a mind-bogglingly good night in net. With 21 saves, Wahlund was playing out of his mind, constantly bailing out a defense that got peppered all night. Rutgers had nearly 50 shots, and managed to grind out the W thanks to relentless pressure.

For Ohio State, it was a bitter end to a season that was much like the game itself. Things started so promisingly, then the middle was rocky, before a final sputtering at the end slammed the door shut on another hope-filled season. Ohio State has a glimmer of hope to make the national tournament, but I don't give it much credence.

Some disagree. That's fine. But this is Ohio State. Not a name program. The Buckeyes have beaten zero top 10 teams in the RPI. If Notre Dame beats Duke, they will have beaten one. Maybe. If Duke wins Saturday, I don't think a national tournament appearance is in the cards.

The Buckeyes have been on the bubble for weeks now. And I think it just burst. I hope that is incorrect. But I don't see a path to the tournament with their current resume. And it only gets worse if Notre Dame loses.

Selection Sunday is the 8th. We will know then. A post mortem will drop Monday if we don't get another game from these Buckeyes. If we do, then a preview will come on Friday.

Go Bucks.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments