College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

BSD Thinks Penn State is Running the Table in 2020

+13 HS
tajikey's picture
January 23, 2020 at 2:34pm
147 Comments

I was browsing the Google News headlines and came across this dandy:

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2020/1/23/21076693/midweek-musings-penn...

Here's the rationale for their victory over Ohio State

Week 8 (October 24th): vs Ohio State Buckeyes
2019 Record: 13-1 (10-0 Big Ten)
2019 Ranking: #3
2019 Bowl: Lost to Clemson 29-23 in the Fiesta Bowl (College Football Playoff semifinal)

What’s irritating about Ohio State is how reliably they avoid skipping a beat. Urban Meyer is one of the top college coaches of all time, and after departing, Justin Fields falls into the lap of Ryan Day, his replacement, and the Buckeyes march their way to the playoffs.

Here’s the thing: 2019 was the year for OSU. They’ll be good every year, but you don’t get a perfect storm like 2019 very often. All of the players were Urban Meyer’s. Fields managed to get a transfer waiver cleared, and managed to avoid injury all season. The defense was chock full of NFL talent. To me, they were the second best team in college football in 2019, and they blew it.

In 2020, Fields will be back, but RB J.K Dobbins is off to the NFL. On defense, DE Chase Young, LB Malik Harrison, CB Jeff Okudah, and FS Jordan Fuller all need to be replaced. The OSU coaching staff was scavenged as well, and the Buckeyes will have to replace their co-DC, and co-OC. Can OSU win the B1G again? Sure. But they had to fight tooth and nail to get the win over a depleted Lions team in Columbus in 2019, and they’ll be at State College in 2020.

The Lions win - convincingly - and the two biggest hurdles of the season are finished before we hit November.

Prediction: Penn State 38, Ohio State 24 (7-0, 4-0 Big Ten)

The part that makes me laugh is their omission of the already replaced co-DC, and the fact that Yurcich wasn't a co-OC. Carry on, delusional nitty kitties, carry on.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 147 Comments