Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics fan talk.

What Do You Love Most About Being a Buckeye?

+9 HS
OhioAgainstTheWorld34's picture
April 30, 2019 at 9:55am
71 Comments

As I begin the work day on this Tuesday and my PC fired up, I had an epiphany that it is gonna be a freaking good day.  It struck me as the background appeared and I got to stare into the rotunda at the stained glass murals that pronounce you've arrived at Ohio Stadium.

This got me to thinking... What do I love most about being a Buckeye?  Here were some of my initial thoughts:

• The vastness and sheer wonder of Buckeye Nation.  I am confident that there isn't another fan base that reaches as far as we do.  I have lived in Hong Kong and received "O-H-'s" in the subway; we'll hop on flights to Orlando or Minneapolis and my wife's family whom are all UK fans are amazed that every single trip I will get multiple greetings from Buckeye fans in the airport at Disney World pretty much any where.
  • The fact that a Saturday afternoon in Columbus, OH is unlike anything else in the country.  I have seen college football played at multiple SEC schools, I even had the privilege take college visits to some D1 schools that at the time were fighting for the BCS bowl births and not a single one of them paled in comparison to atmosphere on the banks of the Olentangy.  I even took one of my college professors to an Ohio State Nebraska game under the lights, he was a Nebraska grad and he was quite impressed with the entire day from Skull Session to Carmen Ohio.
  • Winning... Yes it makes it easier to follow a team that wins, but heck I was at almost every home basketball game this year and even when we were struggling it never crossed my mind to jump ship or not drive up the 4 hours for the games.  During 2011, when Ohio State had its only "difficult" season of the last two decades, I still froze my tail off in C Deck.. All that being said those moments make me much more thankful for the success we've come to expect.
  • The people... What other university can you watch the NFL draft and see three players in a matter of like an come on stage to announce NFL picks... Or turn on a TV and see Nick Swisher on MLB Network or Dzingle netting a playoff goal for the Jackets.

I could definitely keep going as I have traveled to Dallas, TX for games and road tripped countless other places to be a part of something special.  Just wanted to hear everyone else's input on this Tuesday.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 71 Comments