College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Other Schools Can’t Afford Extra Year of Eligibility

+1 HS
grahamkamp's picture
August 14, 2020 at 4:37pm
12 Comments

NCAA is expected to officially announce that players whose seasons were cancelled are going to get another year of eligibility. There’s just a few issues here, with college athletic departments losing so much money this year, how will they cover those scholarship costs? Not to mention it’s not just football, cover one sport you need to cover them all.

I live in Wisconsin (dad is a OSU grad thankfully) and last spring when spring sports were cancelled they told their spring athletes that if NCAA gave them extra year they were on their own. They’d have to walk on or transfer.

Barry Alvarez isn’t exactly a great guy, but you can’t tell me that he can give Football players scholarships for an extra year but not spring athletes. 

In terms of the “liabilities” that we have talked about recently, this one is the worst in terms of schools fielding lawsuits.

Its going to be an interesting year for the people in the budget department at universities, I hope they are able to figure it out.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 12 Comments