College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

To Play or Not to Play This Fall – Power 5, Group of 5, and My Thoughts from the Cheap Seats

-2 HS
Phoenix824's picture
August 9, 2020 at 5:12pm
20 Comments

There have been a lot of people giving thoughts on weather or not College Sports should be played in the fall.   The argument against is always we don’t want to kill kids due to Covid.   When anyone tried to contradict this, we are told to follow the science.     I decided to follow some of the science and will add some thoughts on why I don’t think those making decisions are following the science and that the Power 5 should play in the fall.

From 2-1-20 to 8-1-20 for people under the age of 24 there have been 29471 Deaths per the CDC of those 29471 deaths there have only been 270 with Covid.     Basically, under the age of 24 kids and young adults are 100 times move likely do die from something other than Covid.     (12000 of those deaths were Males age 15 to 24.   Since I was once a male in that age range, I can guess Car Accidents, drugs and General stupidity accounts for a vast majority of it.)
Due to all the testing and guidelines that athletes will have to follow to be able to play.    They will definitely be safer going through all the protocols than if they are just living on campus as a regular student and safer from the virus than if they are living at home with no structure around them.    Basically, being in season and the structure of that makes it safer for those athletes
Conference only schedules have been put in place to make sure testing guidelines and consistent protocols for actions if someone does test positive.    So the Power 5 athlete will not have to worry in the person opposite them on the field is safe. 

For these reasons and others, I feel the Power 5 Schools should play sports in the fall.

Group of 5 – These teams I think should fall back to spring and that is for one reason and one reason only MONEY -----     If the Power 5 plays in the fall and the Group of 5 plays in the spring the Group of 5 Conferences can work out TV deals that can replace the money lost for the Power 5 chicken sh*t Saturdays.  Just think the MAC, Mountain West and other conferences would not have to complete with the Power 5 for TV time.    They could negotiate with ESPN, ABS, CBS, Fox, whomever for good competitive match ups during March, April, May, and June Saturdays.

I am not addressing general safety for fan in the stands and if someone wants to opt out, they should be able to.   If coaches and staff don’t feel safe, they should also be able to opt out.  But if the Athletes want to play, I don’t think the argument of killing kids and follow the science for athlete’s safety holds water.    They are 100 times more likely do die from something other than Covid

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments