College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

CBS Sports Annual Coach Rankings, Ryan Day Makes Biggest Jump to #10

+9 HS
Spartan13's picture
May 20, 2020 at 7:41pm
47 Comments

CBS did their annual coaching rankings and Ryan Day jumped from 45 last year to 10 this year. The rankings are an average of rankings from members from CBS/247. Ryan Day's success on the field, making great hires, and how well he is recruiting caused the jump. I would take Day over quite a few ahead of him on the list but I understand not bumping a coach with one year after he inherited a great roster into the top 5. Here is 25-11

25-Matt Campbell, 24-Mario Cristobal, 23-Bronco Mendenhall, 22-Mark Stoops, 21-Pat Fitzgerald, 20-Mack Brown, 19-David Shaw, 18-Gus Malzahn, 17-Paul Chryst, 16-Gary Patterson, 15-PJ Fleck, 14-Kirk Ferentz, 13-Mike Gundy, 12-Harbaugh,     11-Kyle Whittingam
I find it hard to say Harbaugh is better than Malzahn. I would also take Chryst and Fleck over Ferentz in a heart beat. Gary Patterson and David Shaw are getting a few years away from their best teams. I would also have Mario Cristobal ahead of everybody in this section. Now the top 10

• 10 Day-Another great season would make it hard to argue he isnt the #3 coach in the country.
  • 9 James Franklin-I think this is too low for Franklin, PSU is a 10 win machine and he had success at Vanderbilt. He is a QB away from making a playoff run. This may be the best team he has had at PSU this year
  • 8 Dan Mullen-I mean sure. He's had good seasons and made Mississippi State a good program. He is a bad recruiter and has never won a conference title. 
  • 7 Jimbo Fisher-Has a title and is recruiting top 5 classes at A&M. This is a fair ranking but its getting close to time to see some results at A&M. 
  • 6 Kirby Smart-Arguably the best recruiter in the country. Georgia has been elite since he has been there winning the SEC and making a title game. He waited too long to change his offense but is now going to the spread. 
  • 5 Brian Kelly-IMO this is way too high for him. He wins 10 games with an easy schedule at Notre Dame and is a top 5 coach in the country? huh? He is without a doubt a top 10ish coach but what has he done to say he is better than Jimbo Fisher or Kirby Smart? Does making a playoff and losing by 30 really count as a big accomplishment? PSU would have beaten Notre Dame every year for the past 5 years but Kelly is better? Total wins is being weighted pretty heavily for Kelly. He is also an average recruiter and an asshole who blames players in press conferences after a loss. 
  • 4 Ed Orgeron-The most interesting coach on this list. His first season was pretty bad seeing LSU lose to Troy at home in a 9-4 season with an easy schedule. 2018 was a 10 win season with a Fiesta Bowl win. 2019 was arguably the best team ever. If O is a 9/10 win a year coach with 2019 on his resume he is a top 5 coach. I am not scared of him dominating college football at all and he is likeable but the odds are pretty good he wont be winning another title.
  • 3 Lincoln Riley-He hasnt won a playoff game but he has had insane success. Beat OSU on the road in his first season, won the big 12 and made the playoffs all 3 years of his seasons. Had 2 heisman winner and 2 number 1 picks. If his success is what it takes to be #3 it is easy to see Ryan Day making a pretty big jump after year 2. 
  • 2 Dabo Sweeny-God I hate him. He should be #1 though. Beat OSU and made it to the title before running into a buzzsaw. 14-1 is a fantastic season and enters 2020 as the favorite. Has won a title more recently than Saban. 
  • 1 Nick Saban-Didnt even win his own division with the most talented team he has had at Bama. Enters 2020 with a lot of questions including who is the QB. Is about to turn 70. Still he is the greatest college coach ever and it is hard for him to not be #1.

I would have gone Dabo(1) Saban(2) Day(3) Smart(4) Riley(5) Franklin(6) Jimbo(7) O(8) Kelly(9)Fleck(10) Cristobal(11) as my top 11. I value how good of a coach/recruiter are you actually more so than resume. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ranking-the-top-25-power...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 47 Comments