College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

How You Pull It off

+4 HS
NoVAsmitty's picture
May 12, 2020 at 10:11pm
138 Comments

The college football season, that is.  

I hope this topic doesn't turn into a debate over to re-open vs don't re-open.  Suffice to say, IMO the stay-at-home, lockdown or whatever you want to call it was necessary, but it was necessary to flatten the curve.  More and more, I think Sweden is the imperfect example.  Imperfect in the sense that Sweden is the geographic size of California with the population of Michigan, and a country with a lot of sole occupant households, few multi-generational households, a lot of hospital beds, good health care system, comparatively low population density, a lower age 65 and over population compared to most western developed nations, and a population that trusts its government and practices social distancing and wears masks when told to do so.  Imperfect or not, the economy demands a re-opening, but it must be done responsibly and intelligently by governments and people.  With that out of the way, let's skip ahead and life has re-opened enough to have a college football season, but how to do so responsibly and intelligently?

Let's get two other things out of the way first - Ohio State won't be playing Oregon this season and fans won't be at any games.  To have a season, it will be a massive undertaking.  And I think that's the other take-away from the MLB plan.  It will be hard enough.  We don't need to include fans and cross-country travel. 

From strictly limiting access to the WHAC, Fall camp dormitory (each player and coach has his own room), daily temperature taking, weekly covid-19 tests, to the games and beyond it will be very difficult to pull off, but not at all impossible.  Game travel will be complicated.  The initial MLB plan sends an important message and is why we won't be playing Oregon.  The Reds and Indians playing only teams in their own Central division and the other league's central division.  Limits travel and probably helps with contact tracing. 

The players (and all students) will have to agree to contact tracing apps on their phones.  Social life will be severely restricted.  While in class, dorms, facilities, etc. masks will be worn.  Coaches and all staff, refs, players while on the sideline will all be wearing masks.  Game and practice film will be reviewed as much to identify contacts with players that subsequently test positive as it is for game planning purposes.  New staff members hired solely for that reason.  Not sure how it can be done or enforced, but coaches and players on the sideline required to stand 6 feet apart, same for refs.  

I was flipping channels over the weekend and watched PBR (Professional Bull Riding) just to have something to watch.  No fans.  The only participant who wasn't wearing a mask was the bull.  The in-ring reporter was wearing a mask and interviewing the cowboys, and they all stood 6 feet apart.  The camera men all were wearing masks, same for the "clowns", everyone.  

The band will be there.  The percussion will be wearing masks, same for the drum majors, but the horns will only be wearing them in the stands while sitting 6 feet apart.  The formations will all be 6 feet apart.  

Justin Fields and all of the players will need to talk to the WRs about wearing gloves and get used to them.  They will be required.

There's so much more that will need to be done and arranged, but I think it can be done.    

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 138 Comments