College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

SEC Blog Saturday Down South Posts It's Way Too Early 2020 Playoff Picks

+5 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
April 2, 2020 at 2:38pm
36 Comments

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sds-roundtable-who-are-yo...

There's some highlights here which I think are interesting. 

-Every picker has a Big Ten team in the playoff, four of them have Ohio State, two have Penn State. One of the two who picks PSU, Michael Bratton, doesn't give any rationale and seems to do it to be a contrarian, while the other, Dustin Schutte, gives some background but basically believes that "this is the year" for Penn State. Honestly I think they're just bored of our Big Ten dominance. Oh well. 

-Everyone has Clemson, no surprise there. There is no confidence in any other ACC team, nor should there be. 

-Oregon gets some love. Surprisingly, even though most believe they lose to Ohio State, more of the writers pick Oregon as a playoff team (5) than Ohio State (4). I would file this under the same "this is the year [for the PAC-12]" logic that's gotten two writers to pick Penn State and that infects Michigan fans every year. 

-The SEC predictions are interesting. Jon Cooper has Florida winning the SEC and getting in as the 3 seed which would have them play Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. I would LOVE to play Florida in the Rose Bowl. I believe we would throttle them by 30+ points if they were unlucky enough to meet us in the playoffs, and we'd finally avenge 2006. Bratton also picks Florida, while the rest all pick Bama. No one picks LSU to return to the playoff, and no one seems interested in touting Georgia, which I find surprising. 

The aggregate of these picks seems to be: 

1. Clemson

2. Ohio State

3. Alabama

4. Oregon

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 36 Comments