College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

In-Depth Nebraska Depth Chart and Season Win Total Preview.

+2 HS
Spartan13's picture
March 18, 2020 at 10:03am
10 Comments

I have previously done these previews for PSU and Michigan and with all the new time I have found amid the pandemic I will continue with more teams. To recap I think PSU improves slightly(which will be a very good top 10 team) and Michigan will likely be about the same. I think the East will finish OSU-PSU-Michigan. Now I will start with the B1G west and I think I am only going to do this for Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. I am starting with Nebraska because I think betting could be pretty good for the win total after the hype failing to be met last season. 

2019 Nebraska to put it simply should have never been expected to be good. They lost the majority of their team after 2018 and were only expected to be good because people connected year 2 for Frost at UCF with year 2 at Nebraska. Looking at Nebraska's roster this appears to be the year they should really start to rise under Frost. I will start with the projected depth chart, schedule, then do over under projections. SP+ projects Nebraska to be 25th this year with a top 10 offense. 

Offensive Depth Chart

• QB-Nebraska is set at QB going into 2020. Adrian Martinez returns for his third year starting after having a year effected by injury he should take a step forward. However the backup Luke McCaffrey(yes that McCaffrey family) had really good flashes last year. You will hear rumblings of a competition but McCaffrey came in as more of an athlete than QB he is very unlikely to be ready. I fully expected Martinez to be the second best QB in the big ten next year. Martinez having a better year would really help this team. Many of his problems came from not having the best group around him and him needing to make crazy plays. 
  • RB-They return their leading rusher in Dedrick Mills. Mills is somewhat of a powerback that I think complements their skill players well. He is 5'11" 220 and averaged 5.2 ypc. so should be pretty solid. The second leading rusher was Adrian Martinez who of course is back, the third leading rusher was Wandale Robinson a player similar to Purdue's Rondale Moore. They do not have a proven backup. Not a lot of star power from the RB position but a dependable back who could benefit from the team around him improving. Just because I don't want to talk about it later, Maurice Washington showed a lot of promise as a freshman but he was dismissed from the team for some messed up stuff. His football days are done. 
  • WR-First Wandale Robinson is an absolute star. As a true freshman he ran for 340 yards and had 453 yards receiving(11.3 ypc) he is electric with the ball in his hands. JD Spielman was the leading receiving last year with a pretty great 900 yards but 18.3 ypc. The interesting thing is both Spielman and Robinson are 5'10"(at most) but as the lone returning starters they are a great duo. Spielman however has taken a leave from the team and it is unclear if he will return, I will assume he does. While these two players are very good they aren't full time outside receivers. Nebraska didn't really have anything impressive on the outside last year and they now lose it all. They grabbed the #1 prep school player and #2 Juco player who both play receiver to come in and help fill the gap. Omar Manning, the Juco player is 6'4" and should provide some production based on his natural traits alone. They have an assortment of guys who were high 3 stars and the experienced new comers who could fill the role on the outside. With the amount of carries the three headed attack has and the targets already going to Spielman and Robinson they don't need much, but they do need more of a threat. 
  • TE-Jack Stoll is returning along with every other tight end.He had 234 yards as a junior and as he becomes a senior should improve on that number. He is capable of taking the pressure off of Martinez but he isn't anything special. Decent enough blocker. 
  • OL-This is where Nebraska needs to make a big jump. They were pretty bad here last year which made it hard to throw and led to Martinez getting hurt.  They now return all 5 starters. LT Brendan Jameis(6'6" 300) has been the starter for multiple season and is one of the better players on the line, gaining a little weight and entering his senior year he should be a quality starter. RT Matt Farinok(6'5" 335) is also entering his third year as a starter and good, not much to say for the tackles they weren't the problem and as both enter year 3 starting as seniors they should be strengths of the line. Bryce Benhart redshirted last year and should be the top backup this year, he was a very highly rated recruit from the 2019 class. RG Boe Wilson(6'3" 300) was the best interior lineman and has the same story as the tackles. Three year starter entering his senior year should improve some and be a good starter. LG Trent Hixon(6'4" 310) was bad last year in his first year starting. On the bright side he was just a sophomore and has after a full year of starting should improve. C Cameron Jurgens(6'3" 285) is very interesting. He came into college as a highly ranked 240 pound tight end but grew into an OL. However he started in 2019 as just a red shirt freshman and only weighed 285 pounds. That is extremely light for a starting lineman in the B1G. For how young he is and how light he played at I expect him to be able to get up to over 300 and go from being a liability to a strength. Big step forward at offensive line should really bolster the offense. 

With this much back the offense has to improve. The offensive line does not have the talent to be elite but with key improvements and a lot of experience it should be able to improve quite a bit. Adrian Martinez staying healthy and comfortable will allow this offense to really take off. As long as Spielman is back this offense should be incredible.(compared to B1G west teams.) There isn't really a weakness at this point. However when they play a team like OSU they will run into a lot of the same problems. Having good enough players on the OL and WR and RB wont be enough to move the ball much. They could do really well against non elite defenses but get shut down by the top teams. 

Defense(3-4)

• DL-Nebraska actually had a pretty decent DL in 2019 and a couple guys could wind up in the NFL. Sadly all 3 starters in their 3-4 scheme depart. There is enough here for the team to not get run over but it isn't going to be a very good defensive line. DE Ben Stille(6'5" 295) played in every game last year and will be a senior this year, he is a fine player. NT Damion Daniels(6'3" 340) also played in every game and will be able to do his job of plugging holes in the run game. Deontre Thomas(6'3" 295) same story as the others played as a backup and will be a junior. each of these guys should be about average and is something Frost really needs to improve. They have a few 4 stars fromt he 2019 class yet to play on the DL so maybe they can bring something. Biggest concern is getting a pass rush from these guys.
  • OLBs-Return 3/4 from the two deep but lose best player. The other starter is pretty promising, former 4 star Caleb Tannor played early and undersized and as he gains weight should be pretty good this year. Sort of a give and take as it isn't clear the other starter will be able to be replaced well. 
  • ILBs-3/4 return but the best is gone as Mohammed Barry is likely to be drafted. However there is a bit more hope here. Nick Henrick was a highly rated played entering his second year could give the position some power and another true freshman walk on Luke Reimer was on the two deep. There will be solid depth and competition at the positions. Colin Miller returns to be average in his senior year at one of the ILB positions. 
  • Secondary-The one place they may be ok going into next year. They do lose Lamar Jackson who was their best corner to the NFL but with everything else back they should be able to improve. Noa Pola-Gates was a top 150 player that could step into that role and start next year replacing atleast the talent lost from Jackson. The other corner, Dicaprio Bootle was third team big ten and should be even better next year. Cam Taylor was honorable mention all big ten at safety so he should be solid next year as well. There is a concern on pass rush to there may be more strain on this group.

This whole defense thing is Nebraska's biggest concern. They couldn't stop the run last year and lose some of their better players in the front 7. If the offense is able to score a lot(as they should) it could force teams to throw into this solid secondary, which is exactly what they would want. Pass rush is the weakest part of this defense though. On the bright side, in the games Nebraska need to win they aren't going to be going against great QBs. There are some young 4 star guys on this roster that can step up and help but I think this defense is 1 if not 2 years away from being high level in the west.

2020 Schedule- Purdue, Central Michigan, South Dakota State, Cincinnati, @Northwestern, Illinois, Bye, @Rutgers, @OSU, PSU, @Iowa, @Wisconsin, Minnesota.
This is about as brutal of a schedule as you can get in the B1G West. The even worse part is every hard toss up game is basically in a row after OSU and PSU beat them down. The toss up games for me are Purdue to open the season, Cincinnati, and Minnesota. OSU,PSU,Iowa,Wisconsin, are all loses for me at this point which puts the ceiling at 8-4. The floor would be 5-7 which I simply can't imagine actually happening. With the talent they have on offense and home field advantage in the three game I think they will go 2-1 in the toss up games and are more likely to go 3-0. I love UC but I don't think they will be able to deal with multiple gifted athletes on the field in a hostile environment, Nebraska was better than Purdue last year and beat them on the road so if they improve they should be able to beat them at home. That would put Nebraska at 7-5 for a bowl game under Frost. Minnesota is more difficult because they will certainly be able to score on Nebraska but I expect that game to be a shoot out with Minny losing almost everysingle starter on Defense. It was 34-7 last year so I could see Minnesota easily scoring 30 again so at this point its very hard to expect Nebraska to win that one. Upsets against Iowa or Wisky are very realistic with those teams losing a decent amount of players. OSU and PSU are the only games that probably wont happen. 
I think the season total will be 6.5. My 7-5 prediction is reliant on wins against UC and Purdue which aren't slam dunks. With how bad Nebraska was last year there will be little faith in the markets which will keep this number low. I would not be surprised to see this even lower. This is a great opportunity to bet an over on a team that has everybody back and should be getting a lot of love. Refrain from the Frost/Nebraska hate because they are only going to keep getting better. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 10 Comments