College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Early In-depth Preview of Penn State 2020 + Season Win Total Bets

+6 HS
Spartan13's picture
February 9, 2020 at 2:16pm
37 Comments

I did this with Michigan and now with signing day and all NFL decisions made it will be a bit easier. I will also be able to use the SP+ returning production rankings. 2019 was a very good year for PSU going 11-2 and winning the Cotton Bowl. However they lost to arguably the two best teams they played @Minnesota and @OSU. PSU has a a lot returning and their focus will be on once again getting over the OSU sized hill. Starting on Offense(11 spread):

• Quarterback: Sean Clifford returns and will be a big question mark for this team in his fourth year(RS Junior). To put it plainly he did terrible against OSU throwing for 71 yards and in their other loss he threw 3 interceptions. How much improvement is reasonable for somebody who was already in his third year of college? Even if you think he takes a big step forward I don't think he will be good enough to beat an OSU caliber team. 
  • Running Back-Perhaps the best stable of backs in the country. Journey Brown, Ricky Slade, and Noah Cain are all high talent guys who will eventually be drafted. This is probably the scariest part of their team next year and against most of their opponents they should be able to run wild. 
  • Receiver-This is where it gets very interesting for PSU. KJ Hamler was a huge part of their passing game and he is gone to the NFL, former #1 recruit Justin Shorter left to Florida. What was already a group that talent wise couldn't compete with OSU will take a step back. Daniel George, Mac Hippenhammer, Cam Brown, and Jahan Dotson will be the main targets for Clifford but this is not a group that will scare good teams. 
  • Tight End-Pat Freiermuth is back and will be the best tight end in the country. Not to hype him up too much but he is about as perfect a tight end as you can get in college. 6'5" 260 who blocks really well and is a huge receiving threat. 
  • Offensive Line-Both offensive tackles are back, LT Rasheed Walker will be an early round draft pick and RT Will Fries is really good. Both are over 6'6" 315 so they are prototype tackles. C Michal Menet chose to stay instead of going to the NFL and will be a very good center. The only loss is LG but they rotated starts for RG with Mike Miranda and CJ Thorpe so they essentially have 5 starters back on the offensive line. This will be a very good offensive line.

Offensive Summary: KJ Hamler(947 yards 8 TDs) is really the only loss on the offense. 5 starters back on the line, every other receiver, the best tight end in college, an elite stable of back, and a starting QB. They have the 38th most production back on offense(SP+) after being the 13th best offense(SP+) which shows how much KJ Hamler provided considering him and the LG are the only real loses. The problem will be having no elite talent at QB or Receiver. Having a better Oline, a good running game, and an elite TE can take pressure of the QB/WR but when it comes down to beating OSU this just isn't a team that will scare you throwing the ball. They are without a doubt a top 10 offense next year but I don't see them taking a huge step forward.
Defense(4-3):

• Defensive Line-Yetur Gross-Matos is gone and will at worst be a second rounder. Shane Simmons replaces him and being a former highly rated recruit in his fourth year should be really good even if he doesn't match the production. Shaka Toney returns at the other end spot giving PSU two really good starters. Antonio Shelton returns at NT where he is solid. 3tech Robert Windsor was very good for PSU and he moved on, Fred Hansard should replace him well though. A name to watch is PJ Mustipher who is a massive 6'4" 325 DT with a lot of talent. This group will be very good even if it takes a very slight step back.
  • Linebacker-They lose two starters but should improve. Micah Parson may be the best defensive player in college football and he is back at OLB. The other OLB should be former 5 star Brandon Smith. That will be an incredible duo at OLB, they are both freaks at 6'3" 245 who will be very hard to run on. There will be a competition in the middle but they werent spectacular there last year, should be similiar level. The two OLBs are going to be scary/very fun to watch. 
  • Secondary-This was the "weak" link on a very good defense last year and they lose one corner(John Reid) and one safety(Garet Taylor.) The two guys coming back should be very good though. Tariq Castro-Fields is a quality corner and Lamont Wade is a very good safety. The loss/replacement of Garet Taylor shouldnt be a big deal as he wasnt great but there likely wont be an improvement. The other corner should be a slight step back as Reid was very good. Its wide open right now but they don't have a super talented guy who will fill it.

Defensive Summary: PSU should once again have a top 10 defense. They have the 66th(SP+) most returning production from the 10th(SP+) best defense. The defensive line will be really good, the secondary will be good, and the linebackers could be downright scary. This is a defense that played decently well against OSU last year. It will again be really challenging but in a similar mold as the offense it doesn't have the elite talent in the right spots to be elite. If Brandon Smith and Micah Parsons can be elite this defense can take a step forward despite the key losses, if they are both just very good this defense probably takes a slight step back. 

Schedule-
Non-Con PSU travels to Virginia Tech in week 2 which could be a sneaky game. They have the 6th most returning production in the country from an 8 win team. The combination of playing in a tough environment early in the season without a huge talent gap could lead to an upset. Now I don't think that will happen at all and it is more likely a blowout but VTech should be one of the better teams in the ACC(fwiw) next year. The other two are scrubs, 3-0 is easily attainable. 
Cross overs-Northwestern at home, Iowa at home(week before OSU but after a bye) and @Nebraska- Northwestern and Iowa should be wins and while an improving Nebraska could be tricky the Huskers will be coming off a road game at OSU the week before so they could be a little tuckered out. Anything less than 3-0 will be a dissapointment. 
East-@Michigan and home vs OSU for what is going to be the whiteout. A step back from Michigan and getting your toughest opponent in Beaver stadium is a dream come true for PSU. 

Win Total Bet: PSU is a hard number to peg because they have a lot of moderately hard games (@VaTech, Iowa, @Nebraska, @Michigan, @Indiana) along with the toughest game at home where oddsmakers give PSU +7 in a whiteout. I am guessing the line will be 10 or 10.5. I think it is very hard to say PSU will be able to hang with OSU this year. I am really not sure what matchup you can point to and say PSU has an advantage. OSU would be an easy favorite at this point starting it at 11-1 for PSU. 10.5 is a tough number because PSU has a lot of tough games on the road that they can easily lose. They would be the favorite in every one of those games above but I doubt 10.5 would be the number(if it is dont touch it). 9.5 is too low as well because they would need to lose two of those along with OSU to go under, but if vegas isn't high on PSU or too high on the other teams 9.5 is an easy over. 10 is where I expect the number to be which is of course an annoying win total number but I would take the over. This is betting on PSU to beat Michigan and not being upset from that other group. @VaTech may be tough but I doubt they can hang with PSU, Iowa is after a bye, Nebraska will be improved but they are a long way away from winning this. Plus you factor in the 33ish % chance PSU can upset OSU. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 37 Comments