College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Justin Fuente, Va Tech Head Coach, Says Enter the Transfer Portal at Your Own Risk...

+6 HS
kmp10's picture
February 6, 2020 at 9:23am
58 Comments

On one hand, I see his point... if you want to put yourself on college football's open market, then you're finished at Virginia Tech. I do think players should have one "free transfer" without having to sit out the season, and I have zero issue with players looking for the best option specific to their individual situation... but once you've said, "I don't want to be here anymore," it's probably time to move on. Not wanting to be part of program A is perfectly fine, but if you find, after soliciting yourself to other programs, that program A is probably the best you'll do after all, returning to the team might be... uncomfortable, and something with which the coaching staff doesn't want to deal. 

On the other hand, if Fuente has interviewed, or ever will interview, for another school's head coach position while he's the coach at Va Tech, his new rule would seem to be the definition of hypocrisy. 

Personally, I'm old enough (closer to 60 than to 50) to have learned that there are absolutely different rules for different tiers in society. In college football, the head coach is king (not to mention an adult man paying bills, and providing for a family), so many of the rules that apply to the college kids over which he lords will not apply to him... and I get that. It's called paying one's dues in life... but I'm sure that most in the 11W community will see it differently. 

Ultimately, I can see both sides of the issue, but I agree with Fuente... if you want out, that's fine, but you're not coming back if it turns out that the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/virginia-tech-no-longer-allow-224352725.html

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 58 Comments