College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Targeting Was Overturned in the Kentucky/Virginia Tech Game

+5 HS
buckslan's picture
December 31, 2019 at 2:57pm
28 Comments

So there was a play that happened about 25 minutes ago where the Kentucky defender launched into a receiver on 4th down, initiating contact with the crown of his helmet and making contact with the receivers upper chest/neck area and making contact with the lower part of his facemask. It was called targeting on the field and they went to review it, came back and 'confirmed' that it wasn't targeting.

How does this happen and what am I missing? Targeting by definition is forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless player and leading with the crown of the helmet (to also protect the defender). How do you have TWO players, that both launch, both lead with the crown of their helmet, both hit the players facemask, both go to review, and both come back with different results. This awful, football ruining rule has no consistency. I don't have the video of it as it happened on TV but when it comes online I'm sure someone will get a hold of it. It happened in the 3rd quarter as VT was driving on the opposite side of the 50 (score was 24-24 I believe)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments