College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

ESPN Coaches Survey Regarding the Playoffs

+8 HS
Brutus's picture
November 5, 2019 at 12:29pm
57 Comments

ESPN surveyed 62 college coaches about various aspects of the college football playoff, including expansion, the selection process and whether conference championships should matter.  A lot of coaches are quoted on record with some interesting takes.  This is worth a read:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27961116/the-college-football-playoff-survey-62-coaches-opinions-jim-harbaugh-plan

One of the most interesting aspects of the survey is how these opinions breakdown by conference. The B10 coaches are overwhelmingly in favor of expansion (9 of 14), likely because the conference champ has been hosed the last three years. For me, the most telling question was whether all power 5 schools should have to play the same type of schedule. Every conference was in favor of this except the SEC. But that alone is not the telling statistic. It's how overwhelmingly the SEC coaches want to hold on to their ability to scheduled FCS opponents and keep chicken shit Saturday alive. Only one of the ten coaches in the SEC favored playing a similar schedule to the other power 5 conferences.  Chicken shit indeed.

Then there was this last gem: Harbaugh's plan for playoff expansion.  

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh has clearly put some thought into expanding the playoff.

"I came up with my own structure," he said this past spring. "I can take a picture of it and send it to you."

And so the Harbaugh Plan emerged: 15 games, 11 teams, starting with each Power 5 conference champion, determined within a 12-game regular season by conference record and tiebreakers, similar to how the NFL chooses its division winners. He then suggests using the BCS system to rank teams 6-11 to determine the rest of the field.

The No. 1 seed would be the highest-ranking BCS Power 5 champion. The No. 1 and 2 seeds get a bye. There's also room for a top-ranked, non-Power 5 team like Notre Dame, and a worthy Group of 5 champion. On the first Saturday of December, instead of playing conference championship games, the playoff begins.

To play each other, to have tiebreakers, within those 12 games, you should be able to determine who your conference champion is," he said. "If you don't have the conference championship games, then you can expand your playoff to at least eight."

To have won it all last year under the Harbaugh Plan, Clemson would have played a total of 15 games, ending with the national championship on Jan. 7.

"You'd still have the same bowl structure that you have now, and teams that lost on Dec. 1, it's like they would've been in a championship game and then they play in a bowl game," he said. "Nobody would play 16 games."

What do you think, does Harbaugh's plan make sense or are these just more ramblings of a lunatic?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 57 Comments