College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Urban Meyer Pushing a CFP Points System

+6 HS
Earthoid.'s picture
October 22, 2019 at 9:14am
86 Comments

It's funny the other day I was thinking, you know what would be cool, is if the CFP and rankings was based on a points system, so people could see and be sure about their team's standing - and also it would incentivize schools to try and schedule harder games and stuff, like getting big points for a ranked, away game win, etc.  Oddly enough (or perhaps not) it seems Urbs and I are on the same wavelength, because I just saw a segment (below) where apparently he is either helping to devise or promoting a points system.  Also interesting, he talks about how they had to run up the score on Wisconsin in '14.

(Starts at 5:16) I mean how cool would it to be able to follow and see rankings by points all year.  Enough with the polls, etc.  Just your team has this many points and they need X to qualify for the playoffs.

I haven't really had time to think too much about different categories and points for the system, but I thought it'd be cool to a) get your take on this and b) see any points systems that fellow 11W's would devise.

Here are just a couple off the top of my head:

• A win over a top 10 team
  • An away win over a top 10 team would be worth more
  • A win / away win a top 25 team
  • Pitching a shutout
  • Award points based on point differentials
  • Points for sportsmanship (based on team PF's)
  • Points for scoring (with more awarded for scoring against better defenses)

Also there should be negative points.  Getting shutout you get negative points.  Scheduling an FCS team in late November - negative points!

Anyway, so many ideas.  You know what this would be really great for, is getting the SEC away from scheduling cupcakes in November.  When they are in the thick of the points race in late November and they know they aren't going to get points by beating a 1-6 N Dakota Murphy State or whatever, right?

GO BUCKS! BEAT WISCONSIN!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 86 Comments