College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

10 States to Follow Cali in Creating Likeness Bills, How Far Will Ohio Lag Behind?

+1 HS
Spartan13's picture
October 1, 2019 at 6:03pm
66 Comments

This is not a thread to discuss if the likeness bill is good or not. It is based on the premise recruits would rather play in a state where they can make a profit and assuming the NCAA can't stop these athletes from getting paid. 

Cali obviously signed their bill but now the states of Pennsylvania(PSU/Pitt) and Florida(FSU/Florida/Miami/UCF) are attempting to pass their own bills allowing students in those states to profit off their likeness. I think it is fair to say most SEC states would soon follow Florida to ensure their is 0 competitive imbalance(these states have passed laws making it harder for coaches to get caught cheating) and I think it is fair other left leaning states(Oregon,Washington, NY) will also pass similair laws. 

How long would it take for the legislature in Ohio to pass a law if there turns out to be a significant recruiting advantage. If Florida kids would rather get paid big money to stay in the south instead of get an education in Ohio. What happens when top Ohio kids get big offers to go play at Penn State? I think we would be one of the very last to pass one of these laws and to the point where we could fall very far behind the elite teams. This is something that is going to move very quickly and after big talk from the NCAA about kicking the California schools out they have backed down quite quickly saying simply it will ruin college athletics. 

https://www.law360.com/articles/1204796/fla-pa-are-the-latest-states-mul...

EDit** legislators from 10 states have said they will introduce similiar laws. WA,NY,PA,FL,SC,CO,MN,KY,MD, and NV

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 66 Comments