College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Michigan State/Dantonio, Fickell, and Tressel

0 HS
andretolstoy's picture
September 25, 2019 at 11:59am
29 Comments

I've come to a realization in watching MSU and Cincy so far this year. I think there's a Tressel influence in both of these coaches that either have kept, or will keep them under a ceiling. Both base their game on their defense and don't seem to put too much importance on the level or creativity of their offensive play because they want to live and die with their D. Well, I think that game has passed. It became evident to me that Tressel was never going to win another Natty at The Ohio State due to his incessant stubbornness not to change his offensive philosophy. I can only think about what someone other than Bollman could have done with our Smith, Ginn, Gonzalez etc offense. We surely wouldn't have been destroyed by Florida in the Natty. 

The game in 2002 is much, much different than it is today. You need a great Defense. But you cannot win without a productive offense.

Tressel won his 2002 Natty with the D centered philosophy. He never considered bringing in an innovative offensive mind. Had he, he may have won, at least, one more Natty. The same goes with Dantonio. He, until last this season, kept Bollman as his offensive coach. And his replacement was just an in staff promotion and isn't too much of an upgrade. They were frustrating to watch against ASU. That game shouldn't have even been close. I contend that had Coach Dino brought in a offensive minded coach with some of the teams he's been able to produce, he would have contended for a Natty.

Finally, I think this is a fair warning to Luke. I see the same influence here. The sky is the limit for him if he is able to break free from the mindset that all you need is a great D. I think had he had the same caliber guy on Offense that he has in Freeman, the game against us would have been a little bit closer. If he's ever going to break up to the elite ranks, he's going to have to find offensive coaches that are elite, along with Freeman if he chooses to stay his Defensive Coordinator.

Anyways, this is my two cents worth I felt compelled to share. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 29 Comments