College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

NCAA to Consider Allowing Player to Profit from Their Likeness

+3 HS
linepilot15's picture
May 15, 2019 at 7:45am
67 Comments

Is this a good thing? Or is it another nail in the amateur sport that we love? Myself, I don't see this helping the college game at all. Sure it will be good for the individual player making money off the sell of his T-shirts or whatever but isn't that going against the whole amateur idea?

We already basically have free agency in football, now we are going to allow them to be paid outside of their scholarship. I guess waiving the three-year rule will be next.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2019/05/14/college-sports-ncaa-consider-allowing-athletes-profit-names/3672298002/

I see teams using this as a recruiting tool. Come here...our runningback made $200,000 off of T-shirt sales last year. Maybe I'm making too much of this I don't know but I see it as opening Pandora's box. I am well aware of how much money these universities are making and that they are profiting off of unpaid athletes but that is how it has always been in the amateur game it is just at a larger scale now. Anyway, thoughts..... 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 67 Comments