College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

The Losing Effect: Signing Day Schadenfreude

Matt Gutridge's picture
February 9, 2018 at 8:15pm
81 Comments

No

After another disappointing season under the guidance of their savior, the 2018 recruiting cycle did not end well for the fans of That Team. Over the past few days, the inmates in the land of mgoblog are starting to take over the asylum.

Before we get to the delicious schadenfreude, let's take a look at how the recruiting classes of Brady Hoke and The One Who Wears Khakis match up.

Comparing Harbaugh's and Hoke's Four Recruiting Classes
CATEGORY HOKE (2011-14)   HARBAUGH (2015-18) ADVANTAGE
COMPOSITE AVERAGE 252.14   250.51 HOKE
PLAYER AVERAGE 89.46   89.43 HOKE
NATIONAL RANK YEAR 1 30   37 HOKE
NATIONAL RANK YEAR 2 6   8 HOKE
NATIONAL RANK YEAR 3 4   5 HOKE
NATIONAL RANK YEAR 4 20   21 HOKE
AVERAGE NATIONAL RANK 15.0   17.8 HOKE
5★ PLAYERS 2   3 CRAZY JIM
4★ PLAYERS 46   45 HOKE

Not much of a difference, but the Hokester took the edge in eight of the nine categories. This helps explain why some of the fans up there are so distraught.

Temper, temper

Go here to see the win/loss comparison between Hoke and Khaki Boy after 39 games. You will also get the added benefit of bowl game shadenfreude.

As always, the words are theirs. It was difficult, but spelling and grammatical errors were not corrected. 

Comments are from The 2018 Recruiting Roundtable Article, National Signing Day II Presser and the WTKA Roundtable

Turning On The One Who Wears Khakis And Their Coaches

gustave ferbert

let's just put this shit-ass recruiting cycle to bed and move forward with fixing the staff. 

mitchewr

When the only hope left for the fan base is to cross their fingers and hope that the myriad of problems on their team just fix themselves, you  know there's problems.

I'm REALLY starting to lose all confidence in JH. Like, at this point I'm seriously expecting to go 8-5 again if not worse.

schreibee

Losing NP-F to osu is kind of a big deal, and all the rose-colored excuses you can aggregate - small class size, young starters already in place, disappointing '17 season -are NOT gonna make losing him & Friday to osu any better. Or Otis to UGa, Patterson to ND, etc etc.

M-Dog

Remember this?

"Congratulations on the purchase of your new Harbaugh!"

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article5187357.html

The money quote:

Your Harbaugh has been designed for offense and will require many high-end parts to run said offense. Yet his defense will be better than his offense. This paradox has not been explained.

Has a more clairvoyant thing ever been written?

TrueBlue2003

It's not the quality of the players we take that is hurting.  We are taking the wrong players (and not coaching them well, either).  

Rocky Mountain

Nothing like a cold shower in the morning. I’m gonna go plow my driveway.

mGrowOld

Can we please stop with this?

"we are loaded with a young roster, so there are not many places where immediate playing time can be offered"

If this was even remotely true then Alabama, OSU and Penn State would be suffering the same fate we are.  And they most certainly are not.

Players go to schools based on the following iMO

1. The relationship with their lead recruiter

2. Team's percieved ability to put them into the NFL

3. Team's percieved ability to win consistently

4. Assurance of early playing time

5. Proximity to home (in some cases)

6. Academics

We are getting our butts collectively handed to us IMO because of significant failures in #1 and this year, #3 but not because the recruits surveyed our juggernaut roster of future All-Americans and said "shit - I'll NEVER be good enough to play there.  I think I'll go to Ohio State instead."

SC Wolverine

The point is that this was never going to be a great recruiting class, especially after a 5 loss season.  Ergo, we really need to win some ball games in 18.  That is the story.

trueblueintexas

Here's a list of schools with their 2018 class recruiting rank (based on 247),  Season record, Number of 5/4 star recruits (based on 247)

#3 Texas 7-6 (2/17)

#10 Florida State 7-6 (0/13)

#14 LSU 9-4 (1/11)

#15 Oregon 7-6 (0/10)

#16 UCLA 6-7 (0/9)

#17 Florida 4-7 (0/10)

#18 Texas A&M 7-6 (0/10)

#19 Michigan 8-5 (0/7)

#20 South Carolina 9-4 (0/8)

#21 Tennessee 4-8 (0/7)

Michigan's season performance was comparable OR BETTER than every team on that list and yet, Michigan is tied with TENNESSEE!!! (after their shit show of a season and coach search) with the fewest number of 4 star recruits. 

If that doesn't put this years recruiting class in perspective, nothing will. 

YoOoBoMoLloRoHo

Yep - it’s the double

failure state. Fail to win so recruiting struggles. Recruiting struggles lead to more infield struggles.

Harbaugh is responsible for both sides of the equation.

Umhockeyfan1701

This is a run-of-the mill B1G program with a vastly overpaid, overrated coaching staff. It’s been this way for a while now. It isn’t getting any better...This is now a softball school, much as I hate it.

I, for one, am not chilling out. Let's be honest - there should be NO coffee being served in Schembechler Hall today!– schreibee

Is there any coffee in AA?

One Liners

Zerodarkwolverine

We have an offense? When’s the signing of the stars?!

Ball Hawk

Im scared that Jimmy stopped caring.

MGoBat

So Joe Milton is the next Tom Brady. Awesome.

All this mediocrity for the bargain price of 7 million dollars.– Umhockeyfan1701

No Stars In 2018
Standing By Their Man

LeCheezus

I'm tired of bullshit hot takes from shitty fans.  Everything you've been spewing on the board has already been said by tons of people.  You are adding nothing to the conversation except more piles of crap takes. 
[...]
If we run off/fire Jim Freaking Harbaugh, what fucking high profile coach do you think going to want to come here?  Perhaps you think Saban or Urban Meyer are interested?

smwilliams

I see everyone clamoring for Harbaugh to be on the hot seat if he doesn't go 13-0 this year and start putting up #1 recruiting classes year after year. 

Okay, geniuses, tell me: who do you want as the Head Coach? 

Seriously, throw out some names. 

Jonesy

One mediocre recruiting class, meh, it happens, move on. Teams have won plenty with far worse.

The Delusional

Crazy.

Umbilical Cord

WE ARE MICHIGAN FOR FUCK'S SAKE.  I HATE O$U WITH A PASSION.  COACH HARBAUGH AND THIS STAFF (WELL, MINUS DREVNO AND PEP) CAN LEAD THIS TEAM TO WINS, PLURAL, OVER O$U.  

TODAY SUCKS. THE LAST DECADE PLUS HAS SUCKED.  

THAT DOESN'T MEAN WE SHOULD RELEGATE THIS TEAM TO A TEAM WHO IS SO BAD THAT WE HAVE TO CHEER FOR FUCKING IOWA TO BEAT THOSE INBRED FUCKS IN COLUMBUS. 

Sign Of Intelligence

Chork

WHO'S GOT IT BETTER THAN US???? A fucking lot of programs.

I Am Concerned For This Person

MgerBlerg

Sounds like a really fun listen but I have other plans

Bleach

It appears that the last 15 years have had a traumatic impact on the fans of That Team. I understand it has been rough, but drinking bleach is never the answer, MgerBlerg.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 81 Comments