Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Losing Effect: That Team (Outback Bowl)

Matt Gutridge's picture
January 1, 2018 at 8:15pm
101 Comments
Harbaugh

8–5 is the record that will forever go in the record books for That Team's 2017 season. For the third time since 2013, the Wolverines will finish outside of the AP Top 25. That is a far cry from a Big Ten championship and being back in the national spotlight that the fans of That Team were expecting from their "Savior".

So, let's find out how the fans of That Team responded to their beloved squad finishing with at least five losses for the fourth time in the last six seasons.

Note: This is written as a reminder on how not to respond when your favorite team loses or struggles. 

No

The team that is coached by the one who wears khakis has lost five of its last six games played against ranked teams. The win was against No. 17 Florida (4–7) in Week 1 of this season.

Comparing Harbaugh and Hoke Through 39 Games
OPPONENT     HARBAUGH     HOKE
RANKED OPPONENTS     5–7     3–11
OHIO STATE     0–3     1–2
MICHIGAN STATE     1–2     1–1
BOWL GAMES     1–2     1–2
OVERALL     28–11     26–13

After 39 games, Harbaugh only has two more wins than Brady Hoke. However, the Hokester did get a win over Luke Fickell's Buckeyes and won a NY6 Bowl in 2011.

Temper, temper

The men so blue are feeling quite indifferent as their team finished the year with losses to Ohio State and the bowl opponent in back-to-back seasons. It is also the fifth time in the last six years the Wolverines lost their last game of the season.

In his first two seasons, The One Who Wears Khakis finished with three losses. This year his team lost five times. That Team is now 1–5 in its last six bowl games and its lone victory was against Florida in the 2015 Citrus Bowl.

It was treacherous, but I traversed to the cesspool that is known as mgoblog.com and found the best of the 300 (and counting) comments.

As always, the words are theirs. It was difficult, but spelling and grammatical errors were not corrected. 

Turning On The One Who Wears Khakis 

MonkeyMan

Harbaughs teams lack character- they can't handle adversity and can't come back after getting behind

Goggles Paisano

I honestly cannot get my head around what I just watched from a Harbaugh coached team.  He better get his shit right this offseason with himself and his staff or the hotseat will be calling his name.   And I NEVER thought I would say that. 

Aspyr

I hope they don't do as many camps - stay home and get your business taken care of. All the off season stuff is just going to get mocked this year and rightfully so.

Eschstreetalum

The second half felt like a richrod game.

ryebreadboy

It is embarrassing to be a fan of this team. I no longer believe Harbaugh is the answer. A month to prepare and they ran that sludgefart out on the field? Harbaugh should give back his salary.

UM Indy

Why Even say “They’ll certainly look better than this?!” Just stop it. The spark of hope Harbaugh brought with him is gone man.

Amaizing Blue

Every criticism is fair game today

It is fair to question every aspect of this team and program right now, including Jim Harbaugh.  No, I am not saying fire him...but he needs to put the right coaches in place and stop calling plays not to lose.  Don Brown, your defense needs to make big stops in the 4th quarter...they haven't on too many occasions.  I could go on-my point is, there are no more sacred cows.  It is all on the table.

Ty Butterfield

Michigan always seems to get worse as the season goes on. Unfortunately the hot takes are warranted after another terrible collapse by Michigan. I am basically in the same place I was at the end of year 3 of Brady Hoke. I don’t have confidence in the staff going forward. I hope I am wrong but it seems like the college game has passed Harbaugh by.

991GT3

Attribute that to the four hour practice sessions whch are unheard of in college football. The is the reason why we fade in the latter part of the season. AND yes the college game has passed JH by. His pro-style offense doesn't work in college football because all the high schools play shotgun and all that comes with it.

stmccoy

The most disappointing part of all this is the feeling that no progress has been made. How does a team come out and seem so unprepared after practicing for a month for this game? Games like this have negative impacts on a program. All the spark is out of the program right now and it impacts recruiting. I don’t know what the answer is.

cadmus2166

Things that need to happen to restore confidence in Harbaugh

This offseason:  Fire Tim Drevno and Pep Hamilton

Next season: Win the BIG East, Win the BIG outright, or playoff appearance.

Anything short of that, he unfortunately needs to go. He's not being paid to blow games against teams like South Carolina or to go 1-5 against OSU and MSU.

Hotel Putingrad

Jim Harbaugh has been a major disappointment as both a coach and a recruiter. 

Blue Sharpie

Harbaugh is supposed to be an offensive genius

Why can't he call plays like Stanford's coach?

Red Dragon

Quarterback whisperer

I’ve often heard Harbaugh called that. I’m just a guy watching in a basement but I saw Harbaughs QB look at his only choice for receivers on EVERY play today. He never made a second or third read. WTF?????? ????????????

Don

For fuck's sake, we're now having defensive players run onto the field just before the snap without their helmet on. That's nothing less than Hokian.

username03

Harbaugh was out coached by Will fucking Muschamp. Seriously. Our savior. Was out coached. By Will Muschamp.
But its the fans that are the problem.

Bob_Timberlake

How's that lifetime contract coming?

Shags

The most disappointing thing Is that Jim Harbaugh was supposed to be Michigan's Urban Meyer, Michigan's Nick Saban, Michigan's Dabo Swinney.  And after this game it's clear he's not.

Amaznbluedoc

I am sorry, but I stand with one of Michigan's all time greats, Amani Toomer.  It's three years in and I am not seeing it.  Although I felt for JH, during his post game presser, he appeared listless and was stammering.  Darn it, he should have owned up to his ball players and fans for one of the most epic collapses in M history.  Things need to change and enough of these Rome trips and fluff.  Build a winning program.

Nick Saban money for Brady Holk results.– New Kid On The Blog

Sad Fans
Turning On Don Brown

991GT3

We should not give a pass to Don Brown's defense. They were spotted to 16 point lead and yet again they could not hold it. In the last two years we have lost seven striaght games at the end of the season. There is failure all around including what appears to be classless act of JH not crossing the field to shake SC coach hand. 

Musscamp in the post game interview gave a shot back by stating football tradition and history has little to do how you play on the field. Our entire coaching staff needs to be reviewed. We need an outside receiver coach, a QB coach and a new OC if JH wants to keep his job.

ScooterTooter

No man, listen to Ace. Michigan's defense was just so demoralized by the offense's ineptness that they gave up a 75+ yard TD drive while they were still ahead 19-16. 

Just like they were so demoralized to be up 20-14 at home against Ohio State with JT Barrett injured. 

A 16 point lead and SC just throws screen after screen to take advantage and Brown never adjusts. 

Sopwith

I agree. I love Don B but the D has made this a habit It's a high-variance D that gives you man downfield all day. That allows for the uber-pressure up front in the box, but as the game goes on and the pass rushers begin to fatigue, the bad matchups downfield begin to reveal themselves, and DB simply will never have his guys playing even a smidge more conservatively. That seems more of a testosterone/manhood thing than a tactical one at this point.

Go Blue 80

Obviously, the offense sucked and they were set up with field position with the turnover debacle, but I'm tired of hearing how great Don Brown's defense is.  They continually fold and give up big plays at the end of big games.  See OSU last 2, Iowa and fsu last year, PSU, Wisconsin this year.

bighouse22

I agree with your take.  An occasional breakdown at the end of a game I can understand, but this is now becoming a trend the last two years against OSU, against Wisconsin, against FSU and now an awful South Carolina team.

Turning On The Team

User -not THAT user

I’ve been watching Michigan lose bowl games on New Year’s Day for over forty years and I’ve NEVER seen a UM team quit like this. I mean, this team showed absolutely no heart at all.

atticusb

Damn, at this point I totally agree with you. ... and if it's not the players, it has to be the coaches. There's no way Harbaugh can go into next season without some changes on the offensive coaching side. Or at least I pray he doesn't...

True Blue Grit

That was the ugliest loss this team has had in the last 20 years.  It wasn't the margin of loss, it was the epic collapse of giving up 23 unanswered points along with 5 turnovers in one half.  Tough teams who want to win games don't do that.

blkein09

Sorry but that just looks like a bad team.

DetroitBlue

we are a bad team at the end of year 3 and i didn’t see that coming

UMProud

Awful...we look like an unprepared team...even MAC teams look more coherent I don't understand

How does UCF go from trash to 13-0 in year 2 and we go backwards in year 3 with our talent & resources?

That did not look like a team that wanted to play a football game today.
That was a sad and disappointing end to a mediocre season.– JFra

Harbaugh
Thoughts About Next Year

ngeeze1

Honestly have no idea where any confidence in next year is coming from after watching that. Maybe if there's major coaching changes. But I just don't see Shea Patterson being some messiah with the geniuses we have calling plays. 

Tuebor

Already talked to my Dad about it. We are skipping the spring game and not planning a road trip next year.

jjelliso

Why will they look better than this next year? Losing their best defensive player? Returning a bunch of mediocre players on offense? Next year will likel be no better than this year and a good chance it will be worse.

ryebreadboy

Yeah I'd love to hear where the optimism for next year is coming from. I get it from Ace - the blog has a preview magazine to sell in a few months - but not really from the fans. We're losing Hurst and (if he's smart) Winovich. We have no quarterback. The offensive coaching is putrid. There's no clear play-caller. The wide-receivers don't make plays (or catch). The offensive line blows. The team is mentally weak and folds at the slightest hint of adversity. Which parts of that are we supposed to be able to magically fix in eight months with very little coach-supervised practice?

m83econ

If none of the QBs can perform competently next year, the story won't change.

MotleyBlue

Michigan football.... What a cluster.... Ill be back next season, so you can build me up with hype and recruiting starz, and twitter wars, and trips and window dressing; and I'll buy in. All of it. But like a cruel lover, you'll piss away 2-3 winnable games and leave me wondering why I still love you so.... See ya in the fall.

ak47

So just to be clear, in order to be good next year all we need is for the NCAA to grant a waiver to allow Patterson to play and hope he doesn't have a rought adjustment like Ruddock did costing us games early in the year. Newsom to come back from a career threatining injury to be an above average LT after not playing football for 2 years.  One guys who couldn't top bad to magically turn into a plausible RT. Ruiz to be able to call an offensive line better in year 2 than Kugler in year 5 under the same coacing, a WR crew to take a massive leap forward despite not having a real position coach and to replace a top 10 defensive player in Mo Hurst on the line without too much dropoff.

Oh and we will have to beat a ranked team on the road for the first time under Harbaugh multiple times.  Yup, should be a blast to read this blog in 10 months. Happy offseason everyone.

Warm Cookies

And we need Winovich to forgo the NFL for a year...

M-jed

Worst part is I paid my PSL yesterday so I can write it off in my return. Now I’m forced to be a fan next year.

NOT THAT ANYONE CARES BUT I’M DONE WITH THIS TEAM FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE. NOTHING BUT DISAPPOINTMENT AND PAIN FOR THE PAST 15 YEARS. LOSE WITH CLASS LOSE WITH CRUELTY IS THE NEW MOTTO.– Cranky Dave

Reality Bites

Maize4Life

Of all the Horrible and I mean HORRIBLE and Embarassing results of this game the WORST will be having to listen tomall the other BIG fans squeal about How MICHIGAN let the conference down..AND THEY ARE RIGHT

Chitown Kev

Hot garbage

charblue.

There is no disguising this as the worse loss of the Harbaugh era. Offensively, this team was woeful, never establishing anything and Peters looked shell-shocked most of the game.

The Iron Jock

It's going to be a long, cold winter in Ann Arbor. 

poppinfresh

9-8 in last 17

Bufermichigan

Michigan under Harbaugh

What game of significance has a Harbaugh team actually finished?

los barcos

Hard to see Michigan rising from the ashes to have the type of season next year that’ll put them in contention for a championship (Big10 or otherwise...). Right now Harbaugh is what, the sixth best coach in the BIG? Behind Urban, Dantonio, Chryst, Franklin and now Frost - all of who we play next year.

All this while we just watched OSU finish something like 12 out of 13 years with 3 losses or less...

the Glove

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. It's always experiences like this that remind me why I hate a huge chunk of the Michigan fan base. Look at the posts. You already have the fire Harbaugh comments all through this thread or comments hinting to that.

JBE

Michigan football has been a shitshow since that #1-#2 OSU loss. And this offense is so fucking boring, even when the team was winning.

69Mach1

WE ARE THE ONLY BIG 10 TEAM TO LOSE A BOWL GAME!!!!!!!!!!!

SHIT.FUCKING.SHOW.– NFG

The Delusional

Crazy.

NO MATTER WHAT, I BELIEVE IN THIS TEAM. I BELIEVE IN COACH HARBAUGH. – ThePonyConquerer

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 101 Comments