College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Mark Emmert Says Public Losing Confidence in NCAA

+9 HS
TioSalamanca's picture
October 30, 2017 at 3:41pm
30 Comments

File under - Least surprising thing you'll read today.
File under - This guy is clueless

NCAA president Mark Emmert said Monday that the American public is losing confidence in the governance of collegiate athletics, creating a significant problem for his organization.

Emmert cited data collected by the NCAA showing that 79 percent of people polled said big schools put money ahead of student-athletes, 69 percent considered those universities more of a problem than the solution, and 51 percent said the NCAA is part of the problem.

He appears to be blaming this mostly on the recent FBI indictment of assistant basketball coaches.

"I believe strongly today that we cannot go into the next basketball season without seeing fundamental change in the way college basketball is operating," Emmert said. "The public doesn't have sufficient confidence in any of us. I'll take that on myself, too, in terms of our ability to solve these issues."

"It's disgusting enough as it is," he said. "And we ought to recognize that we own that. That's part of us. When we see a coach, an assistant coach, making $200,000-$300,000 per year, taking a $10,000 bribe to throw some kid under the bus by steering him and his family to an irreputable financial adviser, you've got to be just sick to your stomach."

I think it has more to do with inconsistent punishment of different universities and inconsistent investigations that take forever.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 30 Comments