College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

College Football Posers

+6 HS
drank1933's picture
September 22, 2016 at 10:28am
81 Comments

In the last two seasons, Colin Cowherd has gone on a tirade against Iowa calling them the "Fake ID of college football" and "posers". Thus, his fit of pure joy came at no surprise that when Iowa lost to North Dakota State last Saturday (see link below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz5Ee74G6oA

I agree with his reasoning for calling out Iowa (scheduling wins/cupcake games every season including an ongoing rivalry with Iowa State), but let's not pretend like there aren't other posers out there who are just as guilty, if not more so, than Iowa. Here are two of the worst offenders who do not get enough scrutiny:

1. Florida - Every time I hear this stat I am  absolutely shocked... The University of Florida has not left the state Florida for an OOC regular season game since 1991 when they lost in the Carrier Dome to Syracuse (a team who ironically would go on to beat Ohio State in the Hall of Fame Bowl later that season). To put that in perspective, Ohio State has played OOC games outside of Ohio 21 times since 1991 including this year's away game against Oklahoma. Now, before you jump down my throat about their annual rivalry with Florida State and rare games against Miami, remember that the SEC only play 8 conference games. Also, Florida adheres to the SEC tradition of chicken $#!t Saturday the second to last game of every the regular season. This year's "opponent" is mighty Presbyterian. This tactic blew up in their face in 2013 when they fell to Georgia Southern at home and I hope it somehow continues when they face Presbyterian later this season. Of note, Florida is scheduled to finally leave their comfy confides when they travel to Arlington, TX next year to play TTUN. Still no true road games in site for the Gators...
  2. Baylor - Their last OOC home-and-home with a Power 5 opponent came back in 2008-2009 with mighty Wake Forest. To their credit, they also played UConn in 2008 & 2009 as well, but there has not been a Power 5 OOC opponent on the schedule since Wake Forest. They are set for home-and-homes with Duke ('17-'18), BYU ('21-'22) and Utah ('23-'24) as well as a neutral site game against Ole miss in 2020. While this is certainly a few steps in the right direction, these future dates do not make up for the significant span of nothing but Rice, Lamar, SMU, etc. in Baylor's OOC schedule of late.

A big THANK YOU Gene Smith/whoever is in charge of setting up our schedule for beefing it up in the years to come with the likes of Oklahoma, TCU, Oregon State, Oregon, Texas, Notre Dame and even Boston College. Looking forward to seeing who else we can add for home-and-home

Feel free to list any other college football posers who are guilty of consistently scheduling wins/not scheduling quality opponents that I missed below. GO BUCKS!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 81 Comments