Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Hall Across The Country Week 25

+24 HS
IamJoeHall's picture
November 5, 2022 at 8:28pm
34 Comments

Another week of “Joes not going to rest” and yet again, we rested. The journey draws more and more near to a close, and yet my biggest curveball looms on the horizon. Alas, we move forward with this weeks recollection of events.

Day 169 (NICE)- Covered 23 miles from Winnemucca (Mac). Had breakfast at the Griddle and had some good energy for the day. Still wanted to cover a few more miles but a decent day nonetheless. Ran into a gentleman who’d seen me repeatedly on I-80 as I travelled and ran into me at a gas station. I explained what I was doing and why, handed him a card and a few minutes later he’d donated a few bucks to the cause. 

Day 170- Left my random off I-80 campsite to head for the Rye Patch truck stop. On the way I stopped at a TA truck stop early for breakfast. I had a burrito and a pulled pork sandwich (ooooh boy did I feel that later). Got to about 9 miles left and had to hide under the last overpass available and relinquish the sandwich and burrito to the gods of bodily waste. When I got to Rye Patch, the woman there was amazing. They donated a shower to me, and gave me a hint for a good place to camp for the night. It was a warm night so I slept pretty well. Also had a pretty decent breakfast at the truck stop to get me going. 

Day 171- covered 23 miles from Rye Patch to Lovelock. Pretty easy walk overall. Got to the hotel, ordered some pizza, and got some rest. As I was going to bed, I looked outside and saw my first snow. I woke up early the next day to do laundry and had more flurries coming down. It wasn’t cold enough yet for it to stick.

Day 172- Had some breakfast at the restaurant at the hotel and hit the road. I stopped at a Safeway to food up for the three days from Lovelock to Fernley. My stomach wasn’t feeling good and I had a migraine. Something told me not to walk. Found a little Inn on the other end of town. This inn had a pizza place built into it. They made a butter chicken pizza for dinner this night and it was seriously the best pizza I’ve probably ever eaten. All I did was eat, hydrate and rest. This proved to be a solid decision.

Day 173- woke up and the ground had a nice covering of snow. Apparently there was a significant amount of rain, sleet, ice and snow that came through the previous night. Roads weren’t bad (overpass in Lovelock was slick as shit I almost ate it just walking) but the grass was white and even though it was chilly; it was actually beautiful. I had a big breakfast at McDonald’s knowing it’d be the last warm food I’d have for three days lol. I ended up covering 23 miles from Lovelock to the Fallon Rest Area where 80/95 intersect. There was apparently a body at the actual rest area, many sheriffs and state boys surrounding an area with crime tape and they had medical gloves on. They ushered me over to the truck parking area to set my tent up. I hit the head and changed socks and drawers and crashed. 

Day 174- Woke up, packed up camp and got ready to hit the trail. Had a truck driver who’d passed me multiple times come over and ask me why/what/who I am. I started walking, and after a couple miles I sat down to have a PB and J. Not to find out that overnight two mice (or similarly small mammal) had gotten into the stroller and chewed through the bags in both loaves of bread and had a corresponding bread snack. They also caused all my bread to go stale. I ended up covering 25 miles to an area outside of Fernley in an area of salt flats in the middle of the “40 Mile Desert”. I covered all these miles on the power of 6 pop tarts and gatorades. It was a windy but nice and relatively warm night to sleep. 

Day 175- An easy day, 10 miles from where I camped to Fernley. Got myself a room, watched the first half of the game during the walk, the second half in the room. A Nevada Highway Patrol officer stopped because someone reported a guy pushing a shopping cart (second time I’ve received THAT description in Nevada) and we talked about my why. He also gave me some advice for the coming few days.

As far as the curveball I mentioned, CalPoppy and I have been talking, but starting tomorrow night through early Wednesday morning, the Sierras are expecting 1-4 feet of snow in that span, with the Carson city area getting around 1-3 inches. So the current “plan” is to go here to Stagecoach (friend who works as a fireman got their volunteer FD to offer me a room inside) on Sunday. Stagecoach to another volunteer station Monday. Carson City Tuesday. Minden, NV on Wednesday and hope CalTrans has cleared the roads enough for travel and head to south Tahoe on Thursday. Then Friday hopefully begin the 216 mile home stretch. Once I clear the snow level itll be a piece of cake. IF I can get Mother Nature to cooperate and get going up the big climb Friday I only have to cover 18 miles a day to finish on time. I’m not sure if it’ll happen or not and that’s what worries me. If the roads are mostly snow free, the. Thursday I’ll head up Kingsbury Grade (Nevada 207) to South Tahoe, then up and over 59 from Tahoe on Friday. At this point I’m ready to push it to the limit and get through the snow. Three days or so of suffering and then an easy-ish finish. 

Wish me luck yall. Hopefully by this time next week, I’ll be at the Sierra Inn, and on my way down and outta the snow and onward to the coast.

Much Love to everyone who’s donated, reached out, and otherwise supported this on here or any of the socials. 

-Joe

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 34 Comments