Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Converting to Vegan Diet

+7 HS
BuckeyeIn NY's picture
February 25, 2021 at 10:34am
74 Comments

Any members of this board on a Vegan diet?  I am beginning to convert mostly for the health benefits, as I have high blood pressure and worry about heart disease down the road.  

A little background, I am not overweight by any means.  I lift weights 5-6 days a week, jog 2-3 days a week and think I am generally making healthy lifestyle choices.  I consider myself in good shape, but have a little excess fat due to not having the greatest diet, but not terrible by any means. Been active my whole life.  Been a meat and dairy eater and overall not concerned with what type of fats I have consumed.  I am not a huge vegetable guy, but I think there are enough other vegan options that I can manage to eat to satiation.  Also looking to eliminate oils and as much processed food as possible.  I feel this is the last step for me achieving my healthiest life.  

Would like to maintain my muscle mass, but lean up a little.  I don't think getting enough complete plant based proteins will be a problem.  Been following Nimai Delgado (vegan bodybuilder), and others such as Rip Esselstyn (Plantstrong) for food options.   Also aware of the vitamin deficiencies that could arise (B12, calcium, vitamin D, etc.)

I am sure a handful will respond about how a vegan diet somehow means you are not manly, post their favorite Ron Swanson Gif, or find some other way to put down vegans.  There are many examples of weight lifters, body builders, professional athletes (including Justin Fields), etc. that are vegan, so that argument is tired and old.  

Any advice from those that have converted to a vegan diet?  

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 74 Comments