Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2020 Tailgate Fare CFP Championship Edition

+14 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
January 8, 2021 at 9:02am
40 Comments

Good Morning from sunny Florida, Dubbers!  Of course, I wish I were writing to you from Miami because I was attending Monday night's epic clash between Alabama and Ohio State.  However, I regret to inform you that I am not going to the game, and it's crazy to even think that I could be on vacation 1,000 miles from home, and this close to their bowl game, and it wasn't even a consideration.  I'm just here slumming it with a mouse.   A very rich mouse.  

I have been thru some real planes, trains, and automobiles experiences to see Buckeyes bowls in years gone by; trips which included a missed connection en route to the 2013 Orange Bowl, which resulted in a game day drive from Jacksonville to Miami, and a 23 1/2 hour round trip from KC to the 2011 Sugar Bowl - a trip that saw me go from MSY to the pre-grame, to the game, to the French Quarter, to the airport, and I have no idea how I ever got thru security.  Needless to say, that was an interesting trip home.   But, such are the crazy days we find ourselves living in, and going to the game Monday isn't even an option.

I am pretty confident and calm about the game, which is kind of surprising since I've heard Alabama described as historically great, perhaps Saban's best team ever, and Ohio State is just lucky to be there.  OK, maybe the latter it isn't quite as bad as I've made it out to be, but that's the Cliff's Notes version of what it feels like I'm reading.

I'm sure most fans know that the Crimson Tide nickname comes from the blowing fields of some dumb flowering weed in Alabama, that one of the more educated people from the state said looked like a tide of crimson. But, where we are all pretty much in the dark is how they ever settled on a damn elephant as their mascot.  I mean, this is the same state where Tigers fans chant War Eagle!, so what do we know?

I know we like food, and this one was too easy to keep both topical and delicious.  Mrs. 3M has a pretty simple desert that I thought I'd share with everyone, and I've saved it for just this opponent.

Elephant Ears

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 cups of vegetable oil
  • 1 can of Grands biscuits
  • Flour (for dusting)

Directions

1. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; mix well and set aside.
  2. In a large deep skillet or soup pot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Meanwhile, Separate the biscuits from the can. Dust your surface with flour, then roll the biscuit dough into a 6-inch diameter, flat circle, being careful not to tear the dough.
  3. Place dough in oil and fry 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn dough over and fry on other side 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown.
  4. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon (fork or tongs work just as well), and drain on a cooling rack over paper towels. While still hot, sprinkle with sugar-cinnamon mixture; flip and sprinkle the other side. Don't be shy.
  5. Repeat with remaining dough. Serve warm.

Pro Tips:

• You don't really need to measure the sugar and cinnamon, just mix it how you like it.
  • You can also make donuts this was by poking a hole in the center of the biscuit and frying in deeper oil. 

Thanks again to BuckeyeChief and Osurox for helping keep TGF alive in 2020!

Go Bucks! 
Beat the Tide!
Bring home #9!

Tailgate Fare Historical Archive

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 40 Comments