Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Does Anyone Hear Listen to Synthwave?

+7 HS
Moo Strength's picture
June 10, 2020 at 7:44pm
45 Comments

I've been listening to SynthWave for the past couple years, stumbled across Carpenter Brut's Obituary, and now I can't stop listening to it. It's great stuff to listen to when you're doing work, I find sometimes vocals can distract you. I do a lot of IT stuff for Intel out here in Portland, and since I'm wearing ear protection anyway from all the noise in the Data Centers, I find that I like the music better than just ear plugs.

SynthWave is pretty self explanatory, keyboards/synthesizer, but sometimes the guitar work is incredible. If you're a fan of guitar rock, like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, etc...and you also like(d) the 80's Synthesizer music like Genesis, Journey, etc... chances are you'll like SynthWave. 

Dance with the Dead, and Carpenter Brut are arguably two of the more well known bands. The album for the above link, B-Sides Volume 1 is IMHO about 95% awesome. I find that I rarely 'skip' songs by DwtD or CB. 

Most SynthWave bands I believe are just one guy doing all the work digitally, but some now, like Dance with the Dead or Hutch and McRocklin are coming around who have one guy doing the synthesizer/keyboards/drum kitting on a computer, and then an actual guitarist. (McRocklin has been around for years, he opened up for Ozzy when he was 7 when Osborne visited his town in England, and he also has been learning under Steve Vai for years, and was a part of Vai's short lived Bad4Good metal band). 

Carpenter Brut is another great example:

Most of the time it is usually instrumental. but occasionally they'll have singing like this song:

Gunship is another one that's pretty good, though they have quite a bit more singing. 

Other bands are WaveShaper, Le Matos, Robert Parker, The Midnight, Makeup And Vanity Set, Kalax, D-Noise, Retouch, ex-Machina, Meteor, Peterbator, Powernerd, Neon Nox, Scandroid, Miami Nights 1984....  

I'm curious if anyone else here listens to SynthWave, and; if you do, do you have suggestions because I'm always looking for more stuff....

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 45 Comments