Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

ANY STAMP COLLECTORS OUT THERE?

+5 HS
Major H's picture
July 14, 2018 at 12:23pm
13 Comments

A few years ago, I picked up a partially filled stamp album at a military flea market in Ciney, Belgium. It is a Devo brand album entitled, “Deutschland I.” It was about 10% filled with stamps from Germany dated 1945 and earlier. The original owner added a few pages for stamps from Bavaria starting in the late 1870s. I would add a few stamps based on various flea market finds, but when we moved back to the US, the album just became another book on a shelf.

Back in May, when we visited a friend in Reno, we stopped at a couple of antique stores. One of them had a vendor who was selling old stamps and I found a bag of about 100 old German stamps. When we got home, I pulled out the album and started filling in the blank spaces. About three weeks ago, I went crazy on eBay and bout about $150.00 worth of old German stamps. One lot was 18 pages of assorted stamps, apparently from someone’s collection. A lot of them are newer than 1945 and are from both West Germany and the former DDR. For the time being, I’ll just put those off to the side and see if I ever want to expand into the post war era of collecting.

As I get into stamp collecting, I wonder what words of advice I might get from my 11W brothers and sisters. I like anything having to do with the military, so I might consider a thematic collection based upon various wars or military leaders. I am very new to this and am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments