Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

MiamiBuckeye's Monday Music Medley XLIII

+11 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
October 23, 2017 at 5:17pm
19 Comments

Continuing on last week's random shuffle theme, which was rather successful, I decided I'd do it again for this week's medley.

We're starting off with one of my favorite Smashing Pumpkins songs, the ever glorious "Tonight, Tonight," arguably their most epic song. It features a trippy music video that pays homage to classical cinema in a number of ways as well as the science fiction of HG Wells and Jules Verne. The drums on this song are so incredibly on point that you could cut your finger on them. One little reference I spotted in the video is that the name of the ship that rescues the protagonists, the SS Meiles, is named for the creator of the classic 1902 film "Trip to the Moon," which inspired the music video.

Now, this song has already been featured on a previous medley, but I am in no position to argue with the powers of the shuffle or of RNGesus. And anyway, it's a good enough song to showcase again. This one is one of David Bowie's most underrated and underappreciated songs, the ever wonderful "Lohner Remix" of his song "Bring Me the Disco King" featuring Maynard James Keenan, which was featured on the soundtrack of the 2003 film Underworld (the only Underworld movie worth watching, I might add).

Up next is a song by an up and coming metal band called Starkill. I first heard of Starkill when I saw them live last year when they opened for Epica, and they blew me away. The best comparison I have to their sound is that they sound a bit like a real life Dethklok (I know, Dethklok/Brendon Small has gone on tour and everything, so they're "real life" too) only with a little more NuMetal infused. This song is called "Before Hope Fades."

Up next is a song that should take them back to that time in the mid/late 2000s when they were a whiny teenager, because really, if we're being honest, we've all been there. This is "Silver and Cold" by AFI.

Up last we have a true American classic, a song that is immediately recognizable after just one or two bars, or just the words "Blinded by the Light." This song was first written and performed by Bruce Springsteen but made much more popular when covered by Manfred Mann's Earth Band. Here's the cover we all know and love:

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 19 Comments