Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Stop me if you think you've heard this one before: Favorite song covers

+7 HS
Elks' comb over's picture
January 15, 2017 at 10:00pm
150 Comments

I thought we had a thread for these but my search came up empty. So how about a thread of your favorite covers?

I'll start this off with the master of covering a song. In my opinion nobody could do it better than Joe Cocker, even wowing the great Billy Shears with this cover of the Beatles classic. What makes him the King? He had a knack to take a song and make it his own, taking it on a different journey than the original. Sometimes even better. Also, who doesn't think of the Wonder Years every time they hear this song?

Speaking of making a song your own, how about this classic from Jimi? In no way, shape, or form will you confuse this with Dylan's original. Listening to this one live I even hear remnants of what would become Valleys of Neptune.

To step away from the obvious:

Beautiful cover of another cover that is on par with the Washed Out version. Most tv show intros I get tired of but Portlandia? Not so much due to this song. In this version they do a great job looping guitar fills and giving the song a different sound, even if a minor one. My only complaint would be he should have jammed more at the end. He ended that way too early.

Much like Cocker there are certain artists that are just a recipe to success in covering a song. Tom Petty, Dave Matthews, Eddie Vedder, etc. The formula is simple. Hand these guys a mic and guitar if you're inclined then sit back and enjoy the show. Here is Eddie with Neil Finn's sons band when they were teenagers. Here is another if you can't just have one.

Nothing fancy here, just Radiohead staying faithful to the originals with a classic from The Smiths and Joy Division.

A favorite cover of Bowie here by Neil Finn and some family members (I would consider him in the above category of singers that can do no wrong covering a song). It even has a nice intro of him talking about how much of a douche Ryan Adams was on their Songwriters Circle performance. Sad.

I will end here on a guy who started out in a pizza parlor (after he decided being a lawyer was boring) and these days is actually traveling the globe. Hoping I will be able to catch a show of his eventually. Definitely worth a listen and check out his other tunes, phenomenal voice. There is even stuff for you GB.

Let's see what you have. I'm hoping to hear/see some I have never heard before.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 150 Comments