Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Why I Hate Buckeye Donuts

0 HS
Kevin Harrish's picture
September 11, 2015 at 5:15pm
93 Comments

I have been asked this from time to time, as it's in my bio, but I have never given the full long-form answer. So here it is:

I do not hate Buckeye Donuts because of their food. Their donuts are delicious and so are their breakfast sandwiches. I've never had their gyros because I'm a loyal Apollos customer, but I'm sure they're great too.

I hate Buckeye Donuts because of a 55 year old Englishman named Al Griner. 

It kind of became a tradition for us camping in Mattaritaville outside the Schott for basketball games to order Buckeye Donuts. Actually, usually Ben Jay, then Hawai'i's athletic director and former Ohio State associate athletic director, would have them sent to us. He's a great guy who loves students. Can't say enough good things about him. Anyway, one time we were camping in line and wanted Buckeye Donuts. We called, and they told us they didn't deliver across the river (mind you, I'm sitting there looking at the river. It's not like I'm asking them to deliver donuts to Hilliard. Plus, they've done it multiple times before — this was not an unreasonable request). So, I told them I'd meet them in the Riverwatch Apartment complex, and they said they wouldn't do that either since I already told them I was at the Schott and didn't live at the apartments.

I was rather upset, so I tweeted about my experience (it was not profane, vulgar, or excessively rude). In any normal situation, whoever runs the Twitter account would say "Kevin, I'm sorry you had an issue. How can we resolve it?" (I even suggested this response to Mr. Al Griner, the Englishman that runs their account, but instead he told me something to the effect of "Don't fuck with me I've been doing this longer than you've been alive"). Anyway, I never got a response from the @Buckeye_Donuts twitter account. But every now and then, I would tweet a reminder that I was upset. No response ever came. Instead, the dude just allowed me to say bad things about the company he represents without ever even inquiring about what caused the issue. Actually, to his credit, he did block me from the @Buckeye_Donuts account, which in the PR world is effectively closing your eyes and saying "If I can't see you, you can't see me!", but I'm not sure he understands how Twitter works. I think he thinks blocking me just made me disappear. Anyway...

After a while I realized the Twitter account was outsourced to a British dude named Al Griner (twitter handle @I_PR_THINGS if you're feeling trolly) and I sent him a few tweets to his personal account to voice my displeasure, and give him some pointers on how to handle things of that nature in the future. Again, nothing vulgar or profane or terribly rude. The rudest thing I said was "You're bad at your job", which isn't so much rude as it is objectively true. The dude exploded, cussed me out, told me he doesn't have time for college kids, and told me all about how much of an expert he is in his field. He then (shockingly) blocked me. I don't understand how the dude can be that soft and hot headed and still have a job in PR, but props to him for duping companies into hiring him for so long. That's quite the hustle. 

So I, and many of my friends (and random people actually. This was a remarkably public event), have vowed to never eat there as long as he has a job.

Fin.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 93 Comments