Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

I Am A Sports Fan

0 HS
rcsvickers's picture
June 23, 2014 at 3:25pm
11 Comments

I get excited for MLB Spring Training.  I start picturing myself at the Jake drinking beer, eating hot dogs and Cracker Jacks and smelling the fresh cut grass.  Getting to hear “Centerfield” or singing “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” with thousands of others, those are fantastic ballgame sounds, almost as good as the sound of a wooden bat making solid contact.  I LOVE the whole experience, even the occasional beer shower.

I recently picked up the game of golf, going on outings each Saturday morning with my husband and our 5 year old son.  I am horrible.  I whiff more times than I can count.  I thought that I was a natural athlete, apparently natural athleticism means nothing in this game.  How can I possible enjoy playing, when I am so horrible?  Riding in the cart and enjoying beer, makes up for some of the disappointment of my lack of ability. Whoever thought I would enjoy a sport in which I hit a ball, and then I have to chase it down – someone else is suppose to do that for me.  But I do, I really enjoy “playing” and while it is so aggravating, it is also calming.  Again, there could be that smell of freshly cut grass and the sound of a driver making contact with the ball.

College football, in my opinion, is the greatest sport on Earth.  This past Saturday morning, the air was crisp and it felt like a football Saturday.  I had a sudden desire to pull on an OSU sweatshirt and pack the car up for a trip to the Shoe for some tailgating.  That would be great!  It’s not even July and I am ready for football.  Bring it!!  Beer.  Vegetable soup.  Chili.  Beer.  Just thinking about it makes me happy.

College basketball, I can do that too.  Especially watching at game at the Schott.  It may not be my favorite sport to watch, but I will watch and cheer on the Buckeyes in anything. The atmosphere is exhilarating.  If OSU had a Cricket team I’d cheer them on, they don’t do they?  Cause I just don’t get it.

This brings me to the reason for giving you my thoughts, The World Cup.  I have enjoyed watching Team USA play.  Clint Dempsey is playing with a broken nose, that man is a BEAST!!  Seriously, running on the field for 90 minutes while breathing through a broken nose - come on!  I get excited when Team USA scores, just as much as when the Buckeyes score a touchdown.  So I posted on Facebook when Team USA went up 2-1, then how heartbroken I was when it became 2-2.  My two posts upset a “friend,” who really isn’t much of a friend really, but she’s a cousin of a cousin.  (Note to self: Time to clean up my friends list.)  She tags me on a photo about how watching soccer is boring.  Which is fine, you are free to have your opinion.  But then she private messaged me, telling me she hates soccer and doesn’t understand why I like it.

Why does it matter to anyone if I like soccer?  I also like beer, but not many complain about that.  Is it because you “don’t get it?” I don’t either.  Finishing a game in a tie, adding time at the end of regulation play, offside/onside or how a team is awarded points for a game that they didn't win.  I don’t get that, but I am trying and I am enjoying myself while I learn.  And if you don’t have a reason to hate a sport, then you’re just dumb.  I could ask her to forgive me for being passionate about something, but why should I?

If you’re a true sports fan, I don’t think you can say that you truly hate a sport.  Each sport has an atmosphere which makes the game infinitely more enjoyable.  If you don't know what that a sport has to offer, go experience it in person.  Even NASCAR can be enjoyable in person.

Maybe if I understood Cricket, I’d like it.  Just maybe.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 11 Comments