Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

ICYMI: Rill Dill's Soccer Rant Made The BBC

AndyVance's picture
June 27, 2014 at 3:34pm
75 Comments

That's right, the site's curmudgeon of the week (a title I impart with love) has earned some international acclaim scorn this week, as our very own Rill Dill was quoted by the BBC in a story about Americans befuddled by the fact that a loss to Germany yesterday was cause for celebration. (Yes, in point of fact we were celebrating the fact that we made it out of the hardest group in the Cup against three of the toughest teams in the cup, but I'm simplifying the argument for the sake of brevity.)

This is not the time to rehash all of the grief we threw at one another yesterday; I just wanted to share the BBC piece in case you aren't still following the original thread.

Hat tip to the eagle-eyed BrooklynBuckeye for spotting and sharing this piece.

Borrowed Time's picture

kind of funny, kind of sad

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture
For RillDill...

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+8 HS
GulfCoastBuck's picture

Eternal face palm works, but I'd go with Transcontinental Burn

+1 HS
BierStube's picture

It is a shame they did not post his avatar .. that would have been epic.

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+8 HS
MichaelJ721984's picture

Was thinking the same thing lmao

+1 HS
irishfury's picture

I'm dying dude.  This is soooooo funny.

+1 HS
MeyerMattaScarletHeroes's picture

Congrats to RillDill! I echo your sentiments, and love that you help put 11W on the map

+2 HS
AndyVance's picture

Oh, I think 11W was on the map long before it surfaced on the BBC...

+10 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Wow, BBC did some searching to find Rill Dill's post. Too bad they don't discuss the positive side of discussion.

Surprising that the BBC is writing about the American reaction, rather than the Brits' reactions to England advancing. Oh, my bad, they can't write about that can they...

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+5 HS

LOL! Those bloody fools are busy sipping tea, while our boys are advancing!

+3 HS
AndyVance's picture

Oh, everyone at the BBC probably had a jolly good snort about those backwards Americans and their inability to grasp the beautiful game. Which was part of the original discussion, wasn't it? I still contend that for many 'Mericans, the elitist faction of soccer fandom is a real turnoff to the entire sport, which is a shame. (By the same token, of course, 'Mericans who trash soccer because it ain't football by God also turn off the aforementioned Eurolitists, too...)

+4 HS
BierStube's picture

Could not agree more Andy.  I hate to even mention I am not into soccer because I am positive in a group of 10 people .. there is always that one who will want to prove to me how great it is.  I am also not a real fan of track and field ... but every time the Olympics are on .. I am all for the USA!  I get the game .. I really do .. the whole first round of the world cup is probably best summarized as a "regular season" ... at least that is how I am looking at it.

But if anyone would like to talk Rugby ... there is a thread I would gladly like to see ... I promise not to try and convince anyone how great it is!

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I don't care for the elitists either, but I love soccer. I do sympathize with how you feel. I am fine if anyone doesn't like soccer, I just don't like people who attack it and everyone who likes it. When the roles are reversed, I feel the same.

+2 HS
OldColumbusTown's picture

COMPLETELY agree with you here.  If you don't like soccer, fine.  Just don't tell me it's dull, the players aren't "tough" or "courageous", or attack it in general.  If someone wants me to explain why I love it, I will.  But there's no need to convince anybody.

jeremytwoface's picture

I think most soccer fans/players are just tired of being put down about liking/playing soccer.

You wouldn't believe how often I've heard the term "grass fairy" in my days of playing/watching soccer. It starts to take a toll.

I believe that most soccer fans just want people to be as excited about the sport as they are... and as excited about the sport as people get for college football. Sometimes that comes off as being an "elitist" or snobby about it, but I don't think that's how most soccer fans are trying to come across. When you are around someone who is bashing something that you love, you tend to get a little defensive about it.

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

+2 HS

"Grass fairy"? Lol, dude, I've never heard that before

Haha

+4 HS
BierStube's picture

Again .. I did not see where Rill ever said "not tough" ... Not sure where that came from ... But since you brought it up .... I have one word for you ... Rugby!

chicagobuckeye's picture

Rill dills problem was that he was saying how much he didn't like soccer, which was fine until...he didn't even have his facts right. Had he said he doesn't like ties, or something like that then maybe he'd have an argument, but when he says that the us lost 2 games, then be comes off as the soccer a not tough so it's stupid category. 

Buckeyeneer's picture

My least favorite elitist is the . . . let's call them the Hipster Elitist. Everyone knows that one guy who bitches during every World Cup because he's loved futbol his whole life and is a "real fan" whereas everyone else is a  "fake fan" that only come around every 4 years. I don't get why its so hard to understand that people like supporting their country.

I'd support the US playing Tiddlywinks and I'm not sure that's a real thing.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes
THE Ohio State University

+3 HS
buckeyedude's picture

My least favorite elitist is the . . . let's call them the Hipster Elitist

I heard comments from OSU alumni, right here on 11W, that think if you didn't go to school at OSU you are a fake fan or have no business being an Ohio State fan. Which is bull      shit.  

Poison nuts's picture

Tiddlywinks - not sure about . Mumbly peg...now there's a game I could get behind.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

Run_Fido_Run's picture

Andy, I follow soccer casually until the World Cup comes around every four years, which I then follow with great excitement.

I can't say what effect soccer fandom elitism has on the popularity of the sport in the U.S. in the grand scheme, but I do know that I am very turned off by American soccer fans who use this international sport as a vehicle for bashing the U.S. as full of ignorant, jingoistic "ugly Americans." Somehow they turn soccer into a critique of America, instead of simply a sporting spectacle. They display their soccer fandom like they display their passports that are filled with stamps from foreign countries.

+3 HS
Remy's picture

Eleven Warriors and The Rill Dill are going global. Quote from the BBC article:

Never mind the fact that Rill Dill can't even get the US World Cup record right (one win, one loss, one tie), he - and others who took to Twitter and their blogs to proclaim the superiority of US sports - probably should take a step back and think about what they're saying.

The BBC article is up to 196 (and counting) comments. Nice job The Rill Dill, you have the people on the other side of the pond talking about your opinion as well. One of the 196 comments from the BBC article:

It's bluff and bluster by the other sports as 'soccer' makes inroads to their territory. As to "Rill Dill"....
In 2010 the Seattle Seahawks 'won' the NFC West and advanced to the playoffs, despite having lost 9 of their 16 games.
Tie's are actually possible in American football, most recently in November 2013 when Green Bay tied Minnesota 26-26. 

Andy, Thanks for sharing the article. The Rill Dill thanks for keeping it real.

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

+8 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I'm going to start using "bluff and bluster" now.

+5 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I was thinking the same thing. But let's be honest, they are on a completely different level of swearing over there...

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I had an acquaintance a few years back I met through a class I was taking, that happened to be an Englishman. A bunch of us went to the bar after class one day, and this Englishman has us all roaring with his quick wit.  Dude was f*^%kingbloody hilarious.

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

That's the reason I don't follow the NFL.  Lose 40% of your games and call yourself a champion?  No thanks.

+4 HS
BUCKfutter's picture

So you don't follow any professional sports?  Winning 60% of your games in MLB is considered a fantastic record and is a lock for the playoffs.  60% will also get you into the NFL, NBA, and NHL playoffs most any year.

What makes this comment even funnier is that to win the English Premier League title, considered the best soccer league in the world, the past three years, you would have had to take 75%, 78%, and 78% of the points available to you.  Anything less, no title.  

In "American" sports (other than baseball), you typically get a chance at the championship if you win anything more than 50% of your games.  Many 9-7 teams that barely made the playoffs have won Super Bowls.

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+1 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

You would be correct.  I don't follow any professional teams.  I do know as much as most about the players, the game and such, but wouldn't miss a night's sleep if they all went away, either.  My job requires perfection, and 33% would be a failure.  I expect the same from others.  I'm just the type of person that could go 12-1, win a title-----and not feel like I performed at 100%, because of the one loss.  The way we all felt after the Michigan State loss last year, or the '98 game, or the 07' Illinois game------that is how you SHOULD feel when you fail.  Yes, we still made the title game in 07', but that was another fail.  Chevy, Ford, Lexus---we all have opinions.

-1 HS
BucksFan2000's picture

I can see what a perfectionist you are.  I also like how you put the apostrophe in front of 98 but behind 07.  Perfection.

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

I failed.

YOU need to learn what perfectionist means.

-2 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Actually a bit of irony from the BBC:

And then there was sports blogger Rill Dill, who wrote this for the American football site Eleven Warriors:

Using Rill Dill as an example of American ignorance, while incorrectly labeling him as a sports blogger for 11W.

+6 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

That match yesterday was the happiest soccer loss I have ever experienced in my entire loss. Now onto Belgium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

I grasp the game, and did not trash it.  I simply stated my opinion as to why it will never be a mainstream sport in the United States of America.  We simply don't grow up 'celebrating' a 1 for 3 record----in ANYTHING.  The athletes are excellent, and I appreciate any sport that competes with the USA emblem on their jersey.  I will watch the game on Tuesday, and hope for a WIN.  

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I believe you corrected yourself because yesterday you said 2 of the 3 were losses.

+3 HS
AndyVance's picture

FWIW, I realize that you took a lot of crap for your original post, but I think you had a point. For many of us, the reasons you cited are reasons why - at least for those of us in our mid-30s and older (I'm not sure it holds with the younger crowd, many of whom grew up playing peewee soccer instead of little league baseball) soccer doesn't have quite the following it does around the world.

Your opinion - or at least the timing of your post - may not have been popular, but as a would-be social scientist I understand where you're coming from and think you were on to something.

+3 HS
GulfCoastBuck's picture

Professional attendance figures and levels of participation in the game nationwide dictate that it's already a mainstream sport.

-1 HS
HandsOfSweed's picture

I will take one hit in three at-bats all day. If I get enough days, I'm going to the HOF. And celebrating it.

-1 HS

Me so horny ... (after reading this article)

Anybody think a TTUN fan forwarded the original to the BBC?  Lol

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Don't kid around Meyer - they're not that tech savvy.

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

I did correct myself.  I MEANT to say 1 win in 3 games.  Not a whole lot of difference.  1-1-1 in 3 games does not scream 'excellence', in any book.  Kind of like cutting the nets down-----after a LOSS.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I understand what you are saying however in this case it does mean a lot to us as a country and to the players who are moving onto the next game against Belgium. 2 losses would not have allowed us to move on!

kb1's picture

Only Indiana does that

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I can't get over how brilliant this is.

+3 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

im loling so hard

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

AndyVance's picture

As the site's permanent curmudgeon, are you disappointed that you weren't the first Dubber to be Beebed?

The Rill Dill's picture

Hey man, someone has to smarten em up, over there!!  

+1 HS
Fatpants's picture

Let those Brits bluff and bluster all they want.

Me, I have to start getting ready for my Fourth of July festivities.

I believe the Brits know the significance of that one.

+5 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

My guess is that the US-Belgium match will get higher ratings in the UK than England's next match.

+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

buckguyfan1's picture

I'm a bit gobsmacked on how barmy this is.

+3 HS
DannyBeane's picture

This is brilliant. The Real Dill, I support your opinion all the way. I don't get the point of ties unless weather or some other major event forces the game to stop. Soccer should go into sudden sudden death where each team gets the ball 20 yards from the goal. That said U-S-A U-S-A!

+4 HS
Jeeves's picture

Extraordinary means to determine a so-called winner when it is unnecessary is ridiculous. A draw is just fine unless you are in a knock out tournament situation. This obsession American football has with regular season games not ending in a tie is relatively new and I really don't see the point in it.

+1 HS
kevdale86's picture

In the NHL, you get a point for having a game go to overtime, even if you end up losing that game. You get credit for almost winning. Those 1 point overtime losses, along with the points you get for winning games is what determines who goes to the playoffs.
I don't know anyone who "celebrated" losing to Germany. It's just that it didn't prevent us from advancing out of the toughest group in the World Cup. Would it have been better to lose the first game to Germany, tie Portugal in the second, and then beat Ghana in the third? It equals out the same, but I guess the perception would have been different.

+2 HS
Brutus's picture

Rill, I was quick to criticize yesterday, but I now find you awesome.  I still disagree with your opinion but anything that gets this great site more attention and hopefully more hits which hopefully means more money which will then keep this free despite having the greatest Buckeye content anywhere is ok by me.  Well done sir.  If nothing else, you riled up a bunch of pompous Brits, and let's be honest, when is that not a good thing.

Signed, 

Brutus, Sports Blogger

+1 HS
Brutus's picture

Also, off topic but ever since Rill Dill's original post yesterday, I've had the jingle for The Real Deal with Bill McNeil stuck in my head. An obscure reference to my favorite show of all time.  Anyone get the reference?

+1 HS
Remy's picture

Phil Hartman on NewsRadio. Hartman was one of the best "voice" actors/comedians. I started watching the show because of Kids In The Hall alum Dave Foley, but Hartman stole the show. It wasn't the same after his untimely murder.

Hartman on NewsRadio

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

+4 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Phil Hartman was my favorite Canadian comedian. The man was pure comedic genius, IMHO. So miss that guy. If his life wouldn't have been kid short, I think he would be bigger than Jim Carrey or Brad Pitt. Just my opinion.

+3 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

I made this dancing gif for when we get grey boxes. Its my favorite show as well.

I still regularly watch the old episodes on DVD.

+2 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

For you fellow Newsradio fans. I came across this last month. If you haven't seen it, enjoy.

+2 HS
Remy's picture

Buckeyeneer, Awesome. Thank you.

+1 HS
Brutus's picture

Well done gents. That show had the greatest assortment of characters and the writing was always on the mark. And Phil Hartman was the crown jewel of it all.  RIP Phil. Between Bill McNeil and Troy McClure (and countless other roles really) you've made me laugh more than any single person.

+1 HS
hodge's picture

As hilarious as this is, I'm a bit irritated that the BBC (one of my favourite news networks) referred to Rill Dill as a "sports blogger for the site Eleven Warriors". Regardless of my thoughts on the subject, the categorization makes it sound like he's a member of the staff, and that his words are representative of the site. By that logic, I could post something racist and be quoted in the media as "sports blogger Hodge of Eleven Warriors"; making it look like the site condones what I said. 

The wording was lazy journalism, too. The post was clearly marked in the "forum" section of the site. The author simply added "blogger" because it's a more powerful word than "forum contributor"; a choice that deliberately changed the implication of the topic. 

+6 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I was thinking this same thing when I read it earlier... Hopefully if people click on the link they realize what it is.

Most likely though, they will just read the article and think we are stupid.

+2 HS
BierStube's picture

Only kidding Hodge, but I agree with you.  This was very lazy journalism, in the current era of sound bits and blog posts .. Edward R Murrow would be lost!

Buckeyeneer's picture

Did anyone else know that Hodge is a racist? He admitted it himself in one of his posts.

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Great point Hodge. But maybe the writer of the article wanted to promote the stereotype that Americans are all a bunch of backwoods rednecks, that most in the UK think we are? It is quite surprising they didn't include his icon, which would have further supported his argument that I think he was trying to make.

As unpopular on this website that Rill Dill's opinion may be, I believe that he shares a good majority of American's opinion on this matter, and should not be downvoted into oblivion just because you may not agree with him. It isn't like he say anything racist or political.  

+1 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

I don't really care for soccer, but I really don't care for the English.

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+2 HS
Becool12's picture

I thought the BBC was a porn site

+5 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

“Daddy, tell me about the time you were quoted in the BBC.”

“Well, son, I created a forum topic on Eleven Warriors and...”