Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Let me make sure I'm straight on this soccer stuff

The Rill Dill's picture
June 26, 2014 at 2:23pm
196 Comments

We score 3 goals in 3 games, LOSE 2 out of 3 games, and people are in celebratory mode?  

We lose 2 out of 3 games, ADVANCE, and the announcer declares that this is the hardest of all championships to win?

This is The United States of America.  We do not play for ties, or celebrate advancing solely because another team lost. We do not celebrate when we lose 2 out of 3 ANYTHING.  We are taught this upon exiting the WOMB.  This (game) will NEVER go mainstream in this country, because of this.

There is only ONE game of football, and it is spelled with two Os.

Carry on.

osu07asu10's picture

We've lost two? What world cup are you watching?

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+52 HS
buckguy10's picture

Also, I remember us scoring 4 goals... Did we lose a goal along the way in exchange for an additional loss?

+28 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Must be the case!

+5 HS
jedkat's picture

“The teams that don’t respect their coaches and don’t trust their coaches are the teams that go .500"
~Zach Boren

+4 HS
clogan1032's picture

Ahhhhh, we didn't lose two...

+5 HS
clogan1032's picture

Rest of the world calls it football. There is so much WIN in the OP's post I'm not sure where to start

-1 HS
SonOfBuckeye's picture

Rest of the world calls it...

Brits coined the term "soccer."  They used "football" and "soccer" interchangeably for decades.  They abandoned the latter in a snobby attempt to distinguish themselves from arriviste Yanks only when the popularity of the sport skyrocketed in the U.S.

The rest of the world can call it whatever they want.  We play "soccer" (on a field, not a pitch).

+2 HS
BierStube's picture

I tend to agree with you Rill Dill ... I don't get it ... but it does looks as though some folks are really into it.  That being said, I might start to like soccer more if they played this way ..

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+9 HS
rdubs's picture

I think you just solved the NFL's concussion problem.

+12 HS
BierStube's picture

True .. and this way, no one could accuse soccer players of flopping ... to me colliding looks to be half the fun!

buckeyedude's picture

How the heck do they breathe in those things?

UFest57's picture

1/3 in baseball is pretty good...HOF type.  

+7 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Yep, another dead or on its way to, sport.

-10 HS
Jeeves's picture

You are having a laugh, surely.

AndyVance's picture

Um, he's not wrong, really. MLB is a pretty distant third to the NFL and NBA in terms of ratings, revenues, etc. etc. It's not hard to envision soccer passing MLB at some point in the not-so-distant future.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Basically already has... And it's maybe even passing the NBA as well.

The US vs Portugal game was more watched than both the NBA Finals and the World Series. And that was just a group game with no trophy on the line. Think of what the ratings would be if the USA somehow made it to the finals.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+2 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Basically already has... And it's maybe even passing the NBA as well.

The US vs Portugal game was more watched than both the NBA Finals and the World Series. And that was just a group game with no trophy on the line. Think of what the ratings would be if the USA somehow made it to the finals.

The Olympics get good ratings for the same reason. Both occur every four years, creating an artificial demand due to scarcity.

How is MLS doing compared to MLB?

+6 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I'm really not sure, but the more fair comparison would probably be how well EPL does against MLB.

bigtenspeed's picture

The World Series consists of teams from two cities within the USA so really only people from those cities care. Everyone watches the superbowl even if you don't care about the teams playing because it's just one game, not 4-7. Less of an investment.Team USA represents the entire country so everyone cares. Not surprising that the world cup game with Portugal drew higher ratings.

+3 HS
Jeeves's picture

Yet internationally baseball is growing and teams are making money hand over fist. American football on the other hand is only followed seriously in one country and our middle class here is abandoning it in droves in terms of participation.

Go1Bucks's picture

They aren't abandoning it, as much as being priced out of it.

Go Bucks!

+4 HS
seafus26's picture

Abandoning it? Just a few years ago they added spring football to even the pee wees. So even pee wees are playing 2 seasons of tackle a year and in 7 on 7select  leagues and tournies in between. Football has become year round down here much like select travel baseball did a few decades ago and continues to be 

Go Bucks and michigan STILL SUCKS!

+1 HS
BuckminsterFullback's picture

MLB is a pretty distant third to the NFL and NBA in terms of ratings, revenues, etc. etc

I'm not sure about that, revenue wise; this article on wikipedia shows MLB a fairly close second to the NFL, and well ahead the NBA. Disclaimer: the revenues figures aren't based on the same year, so the MLB figure is probably inflated slightly; and of course, it's wikipedia.

Here in Columbus, the people that I know, who are involved in youth baseball, say that participation is way down from 10 years ago; they think that they're losing kids to lacrosse and soccer. I suspect that bodes ill for MLB revenues down the road.

Earle's picture

Facts is facts, but Portugal sure felt like a loss.

Italics are for emphasis.

+7 HS
BuckeyeFootball3's picture

Yeah leading 2-1 up until literally the last few seconds when it was finally tied coupled with the fact that they dominated at many points in the game. You sir are a first class dumbass. 

-10 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

You clearly do NOT know who you're speaking to, nor are you doing so in a manner that would be consistent with the etiquette on this site. Therefore, Earl is rubber, and you are glue, and you're name calling is bouncing off of Earle and sticking to you.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

+4 HS
Earle's picture

Thanks for the support, Woody. Sticks and stones, and so forth...

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Welcome to 11W, BuckeyeFootball3. You'll find that the level of discourse here may be somewhat more civilized than what you're accustomed to seeing elsewhere (this particular thread notwithstanding). And thank you for the compliment. I try to do everything first class.

+3 HS
The Butler's picture

I've trained Canaries in the sport of falconry.

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Talk about yapping off with very little information to back it up.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+16 HS
osu07asu10's picture

In his defense, it is titled, "let me make sure I am straight"...

+5 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Please enlighten me, oh knowing one.  I forgot-----the portugal (loss) was a tie.  Now back up your yapper.

-10 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Please enlighten me, oh knowing one.  I forgot-----the portugal (loss) was a tie.  Now back up your yapper.

Translation: "I'm going to act like you're pretentious because you're pointing out a flaw in my argument. I also don't know what a tie is. Now get off my lawn because you, like most of the world, enjoy watching soccer.

Judging by your avi, I'm not shocked that you hate soccer. But saying "OMG SOCCER SUX!!!!11!!!!1one!!" during the World Cup doesn't make you edgy, it makes you an attention whore.

Hell, I don't even really like soccer that much. Flopping annoys me, and I also don't like watching ties, but it's still a fun sport to watch, especially when national pride is on the line. Soccer is the one sport where we're a perpetual underdog of epic proportions. America is never the underdog in anything else, and we're proving people wrong. If you can't get excited about that, I feel bad for you.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+45 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Translation: "I'm going to act like you're pretentious because you're pointing out a flaw in my argument. I also don't know what a tie is. Now get off my lawn because you, like most of the world, enjoy watching soccer.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+7 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Judging by your avi, I'm not shocked that you hate soccer

Could you elaborate on that, TheBadOwl?

-4 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Actually, The United States of America IS the underdog in several categories.  I will name a few for you---education, financial power, and healthcare.   Show me where I bashed the GAME----at all.  If you take the USA off of the front of their jerseys, how many people in THIS country would be missing work to watch it?  

-1 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture
Calmer than you are.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+9 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

Well man that's like your opinion.... 

Merica

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

+14 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Well man that's like your opinion.... 

^^^^I agree with this comment.

Hovenaut's picture

I'm a football guy from the get (Ohio native). But spending some time overseas it isn't difficult to see why soccer/futbol is indeed the world's sport.

From what I saw (games against Ghana and Portugal, snippets against Germany), the USA deserves much praise for advancing to the KO stage for the second cup in a row (a first for the American team).

+8 HS
Borrowed Time's picture

This is The United States of America.  We do not play for ties, or celebrate advancing solely because another team lost. We do not celebrate when we lose 2 out of 3 ANYTHING. 

Other than the fact that we didn't lose 2 out of 3, you should re-calibrate your expectations and calm down. Germany is one of the favorites to win the entire tournament, Portugal, when healthy, is a supremely talented team with the world's best player, and Ghana has beaten us in the last 2 World Cups. Getting out of this group is certainly an achievement to be celebrated.

+6 HS
TheShookster's picture

Well this makes you appreciate the BCS system more, because I agree that only winning 1 of 3 games and advancing because somebody else didn't score as many goals as you seems dumb.

-2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

...advancing because somebody else didn't score as many goals as you seems dumb.

The USMNT is advancing because Portugal lost to Germany 4-0 and had a goal differential of -3 where the USA had a GD of 0. It's not solely because they scored less goals...it's because they gave up a bunch of goals. When in need of a tiebreaker, that's not an awful tiebreaker to have.

+10 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Someone I work with asked me what the score was in the football game. I told him football starts in 65 days.

+13 HS
AndyVance's picture

God bless Brazil.

+5 HS
osupolo's picture

I started watching the World Cup for national pride.  I kept on watching (other than the US games) because of these commercials.  

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Holy Moley. I don't think you can argue with her. She makes a very good case.

+3 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Adriana Lima in my mancave? Soccer it is!

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

gobucks96's picture

Says the girl married to an NBA player...

+2 HS
KB3RG's picture

FIFA World rankings
Germany #2, Portugal#4, Ghana#37

Considering USA hung with both Portugal and Germany without Altidore and advance in the World Cup while England, Italy, Spain, Ivory Coast, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Portugal. are all out of it. That's a huge win in the books for the USA. Soccer is growing in the United States and advancing to the 2nd stage is huge.

+19 HS
allinosu's picture

I've heard that for 40 years and it still isn't. It was supposed to replace football back in the early eighties. Our best athletes play other sports and few here are interested. That's not to say the ones who do shouldn't scream and shout and enjoy. I own a local diner and can't find anyone besides me that watches.

+5 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

The USMNT has one of the best up and coming programs in the world. We will be a competitor in Russia 2016.

+4 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

The US did more than just hang with Portugal.

They were the better team for about 75 minutes of that game.

+10 HS
gumtape's picture

Not just the US, but CONCACAF as a whole having 3 teams advance shows the level of competition in North America is pretty good.

We probably deserve to get an additional team.

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+6 HS
rdubs's picture

And Asia should be the region that gives it to us, they were atrocious.

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

This is the United States of America participating in a culture as an outsider. . . I find your post silly. 

I season my simple food with hunger

+12 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

If you don't like it, that's fine. No need to degrade the sport. The fact is USA is still playing, while half of the field flies home. 

+10 HS
m5987usus's picture

Idk if you were being sarcastic or not, but Idk why you can't be excited for the United States? And in this sport, this placement is amazing.  We are building and getting better.  We used to be awful, now a lot of people care about the sport.  Enjoy it.

O-H!

+5 HS
js2378's picture

I also guarantee that someone will be celebrating that another team lost when the college football playoffs come rolling around. We've already been doing that with the BCS.

+2 HS
Dublin68's picture

in World Cup 82 in Spain, Italy did not have a single win in the first round (3 ties) and they went to the knock out stage and won the world cup...they scored only two goals in the first round and received 2 goals....but again they won the world cup.....who cares what is the score in the first round...just make it to the knock out stage and anything can happened

Second, the best athletes in this country go and play Football, Basketball, and Baseball not Soccer…..come on man…this is group of death 

+4 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I seem to remember a time around the end of 2007 when A LOT of Ohio State fans were celebrating because other teams lost.

I also seem to remember that happening a lot in last year's football season.

You don't have to like soccer, but the USA is still in while teams like Italy, England and Spain are going home. It SHOULD be something to celebrate.

I think you may have a little communist in you.

+12 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Seriously, I bet OP was super excited when Auburn beat Bama this year. Or when App State upset Michigan.

Celebrating losses is great. 

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Exactly. And we wouldn't have been in the 2007 NCG if it weren't for other teams losing.

+2 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Unfortunately for many Americans ignorance is bliss... if you don't understand something then it must be shit especially if other countries like it. Living in the South and the Midwest have to listen to this ignorance all the time. Adapt, read, travel, expand your horizons.... it's a sign of intelligence!

+6 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I always laugh when people shit-talk soccer because Europeans like it. As if that automatically makes that bad.

What about pizza? Pizza fucking rocks. It's Italian. And it's magical.

+16 HS
Jeeves's picture

You hear this dumb crap on both coasts as well and some of the best support for US Soccer comes from the great Midwest.

+5 HS
allinosu's picture

You sir are arrogant. Reading and travel has done little for you.

-6 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Yes course I must be arrogant for having lived overseas, learned other cultures, learned other languages, learned to enjoy a sport you apparently don't enjoy and all the while still loving my country above all and being a patriot to the bitter end! Obviously to you this is ignorance lol it's ok I deal with that mentality every day. That's one of the most beautiful things about America is we can all have different opinions right or wrong. Oh and yeah I grew up a football loving farm boy in Ohio. One Nation One Team! I Believe!

Jeeves's picture

He wrote arrogant,not ignorant.

+7 HS
TraSmith4's picture

You are correct sir he did... I should have asked Jeeves  :)

Jeeves's picture

I endeavour to give satisfaction

+4 HS
45OH4IO's picture

That was just perfect!!! Hahaha!

allinosu's picture

I'm talking about you tooting your own horn and because some don't like the same things you do they are ignorant. Loving your country means loving it's people which I doubt you do.

-6 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Hmmm so I don't like my own fellow Americans because I like soccer, traveling and reading... yeah that makes sense doesn't it. Pretty sure 99% of us here came from immigrants within the last 200+ years and pretty sure 99% of us here love America and agree that this is the greatest country on the face of the earth. Probably why most of us are rooting so hard for the USMNT!!! Oh and nobody is tooting any horn here unless it's a vuvuzela Bro! I know if I dont't want to watch something I just turn the channel.

-1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

As someone who's left the country once (Canada, I was 5 years old and my only memory is my sister throwing up), I think that traveling and learning about other cultures is something that we all should do. It doesn't make you lose your cultural identity, it just shows you how cool every culture is, and that people are all similar, regardless of where they're from. People are awesome.

+3 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Amen Bad Owl and those crazy Canucks have a great game called Hockey where I am pretty sure they also have ties in the regular season and sometimes a tie can be good!

allinosu's picture

Stick to you guns. Running down the south and midwest and how all the ignorance. Now your such a patriot. Right now you are arguing my point against you. I think you need to go back a read what you wrote. For the record I'm rooting for them too but this man, because of our great country has the right to not liking it and saying so without you making a point how ignorant he is and not as sophisticated as you because you are so worldly.

+1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

If that is how you interpreted it AllInOsu then I doubt I will ever change your mind nor honestly am I trying to. Like I said before we all have our own thoughts and opinions. I wasn't running down anyone just deriding a mentality that I personally feel is ignorant in those parts of the country where I spend most of my time. We can agree to disagree and move on! Go Bucks! Go USA!

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

Ok peace. As I posted below I own a diner and with all my customer(friends) I'm the only one watching. They say things like "paint drying" but I still love them.  We are Buckeyes after all.

TraSmith4's picture

Agreed and Peace! Hope your Diner does well!.. is it in Ohio? Honestly it's really a generational thing when it comes down to it. Having grown up in conservative middle of nowhere I get and appreciate both sides of it.

allinosu's picture

St. Francisville Ill. Where my wife is from. But I was born at university hospital and raise in Reynoldsburg. Don't need the restaurant but it beats sitting around. 

+1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

That's cool isn't that close to the Indiana line? I grew up around the Van Wert/Lima area. 

cdub4's picture

Traveling and reading and learning other languages don't make you arrogant, but the tone of your responses could be construed that way IMO.

+3 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Yeah not the first time I've been told that, you have a point there! In my experience us people from Ohio do tend to be pretty passionate in our arguments to the point where our own passion can ruin our whole point that we were trying to make in the first place.

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

So there isn't ignorance in America outside of the Midwest and South?

CTBuckeyeFan's picture

I'm fine with the advance rules, what I really can't stand is the arbitrary aditional time added to the game by the refs.  If the game is 90 min, then the game is 90 min.  Adding time the way they do seems way to subjective to me, especially the way it went down at the end of USA/Portugal.  We're gonna add 4 min, no wait 5 min.  Not a huge fan of that practice at all.

+1 HS
hodge's picture

I'm no expert, but I presume the rule is in place to keep teams in the lead from faking injuries in a deliberate attempt to shorten the game.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Yes... 

As much as I hate stoppage time, it's somewhat necessary. Players could fall down and act like their leg has fallen off to waste the last 4 or 5 minutes of the game. 

With stoppage time, that 4 or 5 minutes would get added back on in the end.

+2 HS
CTBuckeyeFan's picture

So stop the clock while they are helped off the field, and if they need assistance off the field then don't let them back in.

Problem solved.

+5 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Then the clock would be stopping every 10 minutes... The games would last forever.

CTBuckeyeFan's picture

Nah, if they're not allowed back in the game they'll either limp off or suck it up.  Game will only stop for serious injuries, which aren't that common.

+2 HS
Jeeves's picture

Leave the game as it is. The clock not stopping is one of the reasons matches only take two hours.

+2 HS
OSUpawn's picture

Some years I would be happy if the Browns won 1 out of 3 games.  In the NFL you can have a losing record and make the playoffs you just have to win your division/group.

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

Buckataltitude's picture

I understand everyone's stance.

I for 1 do not know a darn about soccer. But, after watching The US play the other day, darn that was fun! I do not really like soccer, but that was a blast cheering for those guys.

I hate the arbitrary adding time thing and that you can lose and still go through. I do not like any sport where you can tie, get rid of that rule.

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

The tie rule is gone for the knock out rounds. Its now going to be 2 extra period halves of 15 minutes. If a draw is still on then there will be a penalty shoot out.

+2 HS
Buckataltitude's picture

Thanks for the info!

jamesrbrown322's picture

So you don't like the NHL, Baseball (MLB or College), or NBA? Because you can lose in those sports and still advance. (Last I checked, the Spurs didn't go undefeated through the playoffs, so take back their trophy!) The group games are round robin, think of them as a playoff series. If you do that, it makes a little bit more sense.

+3 HS
Buckataltitude's picture

Actually, you are correct. I really am not a fan of hockey or NBA (but hockey is fun to watch at playoffs, even though I have no clue what is happening). I do however like baseball. As you can tell I am a midwest country boy, only exposed to football, basketball, and baseball. I actually play in rec league volleyball now and wow that is fun. Wish I would have had a chance to play that growing up.

I was waiting on someone to bring up how those playoffs are set up. Thank for the clarification on the round robin thing. As you can tell I am oblivious to soccer, but I am going to watch the Crew play here in Denver. I do not have to know a sport to root for a team, that is for sure.

I still like 1 and done. You have 1 shot (like American football playoffs and March Madness) to prove you are a better team. I would like to see baseball try it (think wild card play in), but then you miss out on pitching match ups and what not. So, maybe not. I can see both sides.

+1 HS
Jeeves's picture

Ties during the season and during group stages are a perfect reflection on the performance of a team. Artificial gimmicky tie-breakers are idiotic and have no place in the beautiful game ( and are downright un American to boot).

+2 HS
AndyVance's picture

Okay, for everyone who is dumping on the poster for being a wet blanket during our moment of national joy, calm down and give the guy a break: while his post may feel tactless, he has a point. Joe Sixpack (and I'm happy to be included as an average American here) has been taught from birth that we play to win, plain and simple. With that in mind, it is not hard to see why the vast majority of American sports fans, especially those aged 35+ still look at soccer with one eyebrow raised.

There are many reasons why the beautiful game hasn't completely caught fire here, but that appears to be changing pretty rapidly, and I'd say this World Cup is going to further tip the scales in the sport's favor.

+8 HS
Earle's picture

Flexin' those Mod muscles...

+10 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

True that we play to win, but with his logic, the 2007 OSU football team should have declined the invitation to the NCG because we got there by other teams losing.

Gaining something from other peoples losses is one of the most American things I can think of. And it even happens in the football with two o's.

+4 HS
BierStube's picture

You keep mentioning advancement because another team loses as a commonality between the two sports.  But that is not what is really happening.  It is the transitive property of comparing one team to another using a common opponent.  As I remember, we all bashed that during the College Football season.  For example, ASU beat Wisconsin (yes they were robbed ..but still), Notre Dame beat ASU, based on soccer logic ... Notre Dame is better than Wisconsin .. or even better than that .. Notre Dame was better than OSU because their common opponent was Michigan State and ND beat MSU.  I admit, I am not a fan of soccer but I do enjoy seeing  America do well at anything.  I do get a little confused when a loss is a good loss or tie is a win ... it really is not in my DNA.  But I do have a better understanding of the sport based on your posts.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

The point of me saying what I'm saying is the OP said that we shouldn't "celebrate advancing solely because another team lost"... but that's true in many sports and it's especially true in college football.

Also, OVERALL, the US didn't preform as poorly as Ghana and Portugal. And THAT is why they are advancing into the next round. Portugal got destroyed by Germany. The US did not. That was the difference. I actually like the way they do it because it almost takes out the factor of having one bad game and being knocked out. You can still come back and advance.

From here on out though, the scenario is much simpler. There are no ties. If you don't win, you don't keep playing. Less confusion.

Brutus's picture

Actually AV, I'm going to disagree with your here (that's right, I'm challenging the newest mod). The OP deserves all the shit he's getting and more in my opinion.  First there's the obvious. The US is 1-1-1 in the World Cup thus far.  Sure, we'd like them to be 3-0 but that doesn't happen often.  If you want to come onto this site and talk shit, that's your right to do so.  Just get the simple facts straight first.  Otherwise, be prepared for the onslaught that's rightfully coming your way.

Second, and this is the biggest problem with the OP's poorly thought out thesis, is that we aren't celebrating a loss.  Hell, we weren't even celebrating the tie against Portugal. The team walked off the field pretty dejected after that game and i sure as hell felt like I just received the nut punch to end all nut punches when Portugal tied it up.  It wasn't until after the pain started to wear off that we realized that a tie wasn't the worst thing that could have happened and we began focusing on what we needed to do next.  As for today, we survived in spite of the outcome.  The commentator at the end kept emphasizing how badly the U.S. wanted to at least tie the game so they could control their own destiny. But we didn't back our way into the knock out stage.  We earned it as much as anyone else. We just happened to earn it in the first two games, not today. No one here is celebrating the loss.  We're just happy we live to see another day. 

Lastly, yes ties suck.  But there are no more ties moving forward.  I don't know if the World Cup is the hardest of championships to win, but now it's down to 16 teams, each with a chance to decide their own fate.  If you ask me, this model is a hell of a lot better than the championship model they use for the sport we all here love so much. The World Cup will end with an undisputed champion.  How many times has that actually happened in CFB?

+15 HS
Unky Buck's picture

How many times has that actually happened in CFB?

January 3, 2003

+7 HS
hodge's picture

Beautifully stated.

In my opinion, the OP's mistake was tone.  If the tone of his post was more respectful and less belligerent, I'd have a hell of a lot less of a problem with what was being said.

Discussions and debate are fun, but putting the majority on blast with poorly-constructed confrontational blanket statements is not a good way to foster that kind of outcome.

+11 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I just feel like it's unnecessary....

I absolutely hate watching baseball.. I think it's 90% standing around and it's boring. But I don't go and make threads about it during the World Series and say that it's un-American.

+6 HS
AndyVance's picture

Tone, as you and I (and others) have said on this site more than once, matters - a lot. In this case a poorly timed and poorly argued point was completely lost in our collective emotional reaction. The underlying point is valid, and worthy discussing. The manner in which it was presented was worthy of some amount of scorn, for sure.

+1 HS
Danify's picture

Don't know if the OP is serious or not. The United States was 10 seconds away from winning two games in the "Group of Death". Going against Ghana, Portugal and Germany then coming out with 4 points (close to 6) is outstanding. You ask any team in the World Cup going against those quality of teams and get 4 points out of 9 points is excellent.  

+2 HS
BuckeyeOfTheTiger's picture

If this was for the championship, I might agree with some of the things you said.  However, given that this is the effective "weed-out" phase and we did what we had to do to not get weeded out, something that we've had a historically hard time doing, it is pretty exciting.  Just because the US isn't OMGTHEBESTINTHEWORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at something doesn't mean that thing is bad.  I'm not traditionally a soccer fan, and I love both American football and basketball, but I do find it exciting to watch a sport where there isn't a minute-long stoppage every 5 seconds of game clock or free throws every time an offensive player breathes in the lane.

+3 HS

Additionally, based on the logic of the OP, any team that wins their regular season should just be crowned the champ and there would be no need for playoffs of any kind

Jeeves's picture

Actually what you just described IS international soccer and one of the main reasons I love it. This is however a cup tournament and so by definition a playoff.

+1 HS

i definitely think both methods of determining a champion (playoff vs. the regular season champ) have merit and I guess I don't really have a preference either way, my point was primarily that the OPs logic in arguing against allowing teams who lose in the regular season to advance was inconsistent and that we embrace tournament style championships in American sports.  Either way, both methods are used in various soccer leagues and/or tournaments and the OP arguing against the mechanism of advancement in the World Cup is not really a rational argument for his dislike of soccer.

jamesrbrown322's picture

I don't get why people insist on putting down soccer. Is it just because they don't understand it? Because it takes too much skill? Because they players only get one rest (halftime)? I just don't understand. Soccer and Football are the ultimate team sports, where everyone is dependent upon their teammates for success.

I love soccer and football. I do not however care that much for some other sports that people may like. However, I am not going to insist on railing on it, simply because I don't like it or can't understand it.

There are many reasons for the ties. You know, the NFL has ties, and no one bitches and moans. If you don't understand the sport, or don't like it, that's your right. But don't start vilifying an entire sporting culture just because you can't wrap your mind around it. AS everyone has pointed out, you clearly are not "Straight on this Soccer Stuff," because the U.S. did not lose two games.

Just because you don't understand or like something doesn't make it stupid. However, what you say in attacking it, certainly can make you seem so.

+3 HS
allinosu's picture

It's not about understanding it. They just don't like it. There is a lot of whining and laying on the ground as if they can't move when they haven't been hit.

+7 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I agree that the flopping is bad, but don't make it sound like it's strictly confined to soccer...

+14 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

+9 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

+8 HS
45OH4IO's picture

Ohhh, the humanity!!

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Let's throw college football in there too...

+6 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

We had the same idea... We could keep going...

+5 HS
OSUStu's picture

Yep, it happens in every contact sport.  It just happens in soccer much more often.

I have enjoyed cheering for my country as I do during the Olympics.  But the soccer fans here are being just as bullheaded as the soccer haters.  Some people don't enjoy it and they cite some fairly legitimate reasons for it.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+4 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I think it happens in soccer more because it effects the game in a much more direct way with PKs, free kicks and cards. Since soccer is such a low scoring game, a foul called in an advantageous spot could decide the game. If, in football, you got to line up a field goal every time there was a penalty, you bet your ass there would be much more flopping.

And the guy is basically saying it's un-American to tie or advance based on another team losing. So I'm sorry if I don't find those to be very legitimate reasons.

I personally don't care if people don't like soccer, but when you list things that happen in other sports that you love, I just don't get it.

+4 HS
OSUStu's picture

I understand.  I just don't think it matters to many people why it happens so much more often just that it does happen so much more often.  Personally, I just get annoyed with the sheer dramatics that many players go through for what appear to be minor injuries.  That just doesn't seem very sporting to me.  

And I wasn't really responding with the OP's comments in mind, just speaking to my own observations.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

jeremytwoface's picture

I understand.  I just don't think it matters to many people why it happens so much more often just that it does happen so much more often.  Personally, I just get annoyed with the sheer dramatics that many players go through for what appear to be minor injuries.  That just doesn't seem very sporting to me.  

And I wasn't really responding with the OP's comments in mind, just speaking to my own observations.

I will say this...

If you ask ANY soccer fan, I'm sure they will feel the same way. Soccer fans absolutely HATE flopping. Luckily for us, the USA doesn't do much of that. But I absolutely hate seeing it in the game even when it benefits the team I'm cheering for. I would say that most soccer fans probably feel the same way.

But I won't stop enjoying soccer because of it. 

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I never said it didn't happen much more often but those who aren't fans instantly comment on the flopping as one of maybe 2 reasons as to why they don't like the sport and never mention how it is done in their favorite sport too. I'm just showing that it is done in other sports and it is done often. Soccer is certainly the worst in terms of major sports, but it happens everywhere and shouldn't be used as a valid excuse to not like something. If you find it boring, then it's boring, but certainly don't point to an issue that is a problem within all contact sports.

And the only reason soccer fans are being bullheaded right now is because The Rill Dill went on an ignorant rant that he didn't need to go on and attacked a sport (and inherently the fans) that he clearly doesn't understand. If you don't like soccer, so be it! No one is forcing anyone to like it. Right now there is just a big hoopla over it because the worldwide significance of the tournament and that'll die down in a few weeks. There is no reason to spout off like that and cause fans of the sport to get defensive. Non-NBA/MLB fans aren't starting threads about why they hate it so much. Why does soccer get the go ahead for it?

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

I will admit that I am not a soccer fan.  I support the US during the World Cup and other big events but that is about the extent of my fanhood.  Flopping has no place in sports in my opinion.  I find it completely distasteful and in my mind it is akin to cheating.  So, the more often I see it during a sport the more it reduces my enjoyment in watching it.  I actually get quite a bit of pleasure from seeing embellishment penalties during hockey games.  

In any case, I don't believe it is my place to tell any soccer fan they should not enjoy the game.  I just see some people on both sides of the argument trying to force their opinions here.

+1 HS
cdub4's picture

I see ignorant rants on the forums all the time. People rip on Michigan, Saban, SEC football, LeBron James, pay for play, etc quite a bit.

It's not like the guy got on a World Cup thread and ripped on soccer, he at least started a topic.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

+3 HS
Jeeves's picture

That happens in every sport (flopping, playing up to the refs, etc...)

e135800's picture

Could be a generational thing.  When I was in grade school, even in high school,  soccer was pretty much in line with coed square dancing, meaning it wasn't part of our PE program and we only did it once in awhile. We played more dodge ball and kick ball. With that said, I don't think I've watched more than 10 minutes total between the 3 games but I think it's cool that finally over here that we can fill the bars and act crazy like the europeans as long as the riots and stampedes don't follow.  With the current political climate, we certainly can use something to be proud about and celebrate. 

+3 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I think it's just boring as shit.  That's why I don't like it.  I've never been able to watch soccer and be entertained by it.  Even baseball, which is 90% standing around as someone else on this thread eloquently put it, is more entertaining to me.  And I'd rather watch Wimbledon, a NASCAR race, or WWE Monday Night Raw than any soccer game.  Don't get me wrong, I'm an American, so the very few fucks I give about soccer want the USA to win.  It's just not my cup of tea, and I've tried to watch it, and play it, so I'm not just blindly putting it down because it's "the cool thing to do" or "I don't understand it" or "Europeans like it".

Class of 2010.

+4 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

I agree. One of the reasons I like NHL hockey, lots of nonstop action. It keeps your attention. Baseball is hard for me to watch as well. Fun to play, puts me to sleep on television. I feel better posting this on a football website though. I would feel like a Ziploc bag of smashed assholes saying these things on those respective sports forums.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+1 HS
bigtenspeed's picture

I don't like ties in the NFL. They should adopt college football's OT.

GoBucks713's picture

Football every else in the world is a game that is played with a ball, and you use your feet the majority of the time. Football in America is a game that is played with a ball and only two players on each team use their foot, and they are used sparingly.

Makes perfect sense.

And as far as bashing the sport, how about rooting for your Country, or are you a Commie???

-The Aristocrats!

+4 HS

Football every else in the world is a game that is played with a ball, and you use your feet the majority of the time. Football in America is a game that is played with a ball and only two players on each team use their foot, and they are used sparingly.

Makes perfect sense.

Canadian football, Australian football, Gaelic football...

GoBucks713's picture

Canadian football is american football with 10 more yards, 20 yard endzones, and the greatest single play in every version of football, the punt-back.

And Austrailian and Gaelic football, you use your feet to kick the ball to score.

-The Aristocrats!

Canadian football is american football with 10 more yards, 20 yard endzones, and the greatest single play in every version of football, the punt-back.

Which is irrelevant to your original claim. In Canada when someone says 'football' they aren't referring to soccer.

And Austrailian and Gaelic football, you use your feet to kick the ball to score.

Also irrelevant. The majority of the time the ball is carried or passed by the hands.

GoBucks713's picture

Untrue about the Canadian part of your argument. Most of my Canadian friends refer to soccer as football. The rest could give two shits about the sport and watch only wrestling, which is a joke upon itself seeing that all they do is complain about John Cena and how wrestling was better before the McMahon's bought all of their competition.

-The Aristocrats!

bigDbuck's picture

Was woody "not-American" for going to 73 Rose Bowl after tie game with meatchicken? Should he have said we lost the game, un-American to advance? Really fail to understand the post? If you don't like soccer, so be it, but don't knock those that do. I personally love to watch USA in Olympic hockey, ryder cup, and absolutely world cup. And I am a bandwagon fan, couldn't tell you much about Soccer, but enjoy watching. Call it nationalistic if you will.

+3 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

This is how I'm imagining The Rill Dill as he makes his argument.

Derka derr!
Carry on.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+14 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Last time I checked, there was ONLY ONE UNDEFEATED SUPER BOWL CHAMPION. So let's take back all of the other Lombardi Trophies.

From now on, any team that loses in week 17 of the NFL is eliminated from playoff contention. Oh, and if they tie, they're removed from the sport, because real sports don't allow ties.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Rill Dill - this one's for you - whether you like soccer or not....

+7 HS
Curt Heinrichs's picture

I listened to a podcast about soccer a week or so ago. http://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/podcasts/how-soccer-works/

They mentioned that when British students came up with the rules for soccer, they differentiated soccer from rugby. They called the sports by the rules and referred to what we call soccer "association rules football" or soccer for short. They also called rugby "ruggers" for some reason. If anyone tells you that the rest of the world calls it football or futbol or something else, you can point out that the rest of the world also uses the metric system and wishes they were in America. 

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

'Merica.... 

+16 HS
buckeyedude's picture

#3. Those who(m) have won two world wars.

jeremytwoface's picture

Uhhh... That would mix countries who use the metric system with the US for the "Countries who have won two world wars" circle in the Venn Diagram.

I don't approve.

FloridaBuck's picture

I actually only logged in to downvote the OP (lol) but I see everyone has taken care of that. Obviously you are misinformed and misrepresented that facts, but I've never understood the irrational fear and knee jerk reactions from a lot of Americans about soccer. Are you afraid someone is going to take your football away? 

Dude, root for the US. Who cares if it's soccer or synchronized swimming. Despite your presumptions, our team has actually performed really well so far. Quit bitching and enjoy the ride. 

MeyerMattaScarletHeroes's picture

I'm cheering for the USA in soccer.

But this Euro-weenie mentality of winning by tying is gay.

Oh, and these dudes falling on the ground flopping around, exaggerating an injury is bitch moves yo.

-10 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I'm cheering for the USA in soccer.

But this Euro-weenie mentality of winning by tying is gay.

Oh, and these dudes falling on the ground flopping around, exaggerating an injury is bitch moves yo.

+9 HS
Denny's picture

You managed to get both a homophobic *and* a misogynistic statement into one (1) comment! Good job!

Taquitos.

+2 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

quite the take here, rill dill.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

TheBadOwl's picture

This take is hot enough for at least three or four fire emojis.

+4 HS
faux_maestro's picture

This thread makes my head hurt.

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Weird All Agrees Faux 

+2 HS
Oldschoolbuck's picture

People keep saying (basically) that American sports fans don't like ties - and, of course, we don't. As Wayne Woodrow famously said, "A tie is like kissing your sister." I don't believe that the US sports fan is unique in that feeling. I'm sure most of us are glad that the NCAA has gone to a tie-breaker system to determine the outcome of football games. However, there have been numerous teams that won national championships with a tie on their record at the end of the season. The press polls back in the day (AP & UPI) would often have two different national champions each year (if memory serves, I believe one of those polls gave Texas the national championship over the Buckeyes in 1968). The BCS abomination was based on computers and the subjectivity of other polls. 

I find it somewhat disingenuous when people use those kinds of arguments to put down soccer. Of course soccer is not going to be everyone's cup of tea (see what I did there?!) - that's cool. I'm not a huge hockey fan, but I can appreciate the skill, speed and strategy involved in the game. The same is true with baseball - there is a lot more action in soccer, but as 'Mericans, most of us have grown up watching/playing baseball so we understand all the intricacies involved in the game and don't find baseball as exciting as watching paint dry. 

I actually disliked soccer until my oldest son wanted to play when he was 5 (he's 29 now). I wanted him to play basketball and figured that soccer would be good for him down the road with footwork and endurance. A funny thing happened, though... I learned about the game and actually started enjoying it a great deal. It seems that the more you know about a sport, the more you'll probably enjoy watching it. I would suggest RillDill and others that dis "futbol" sit down with someone knowledgeable, watch a match, ask questions and see if they can at least appreciate the athleticism and skill of the players... who knows, maybe they'll see someone bite off an ear!

+1 HS
seafus26's picture

These are these other nation's top 1 percenters. Our top kids arent walking the halls of their high schools, being talked about on message boards and known through out our land for their extreme up and coming physical skills wearing soccer shirts and dreaming of being the next Pele.  At least where I went to school and we had some soccer players (3 went to Uconn on full rides and won back to back national championships and one of those Chris Gbandi was the top overall pick ever in the first MLS draft), no one talked about the soccer players. We had probably a dozen D1 football players, a couple drafted baseball years (couple years after me had 2 kids in same draft taken in first round). Anyway, no one even remembers the soccer kids despite them being some our most decorated athletes. We do remember each's attempt to play football. Only Gbandi  could play ball. The others couldnt sniff playing time in Texas varsity 5A football. They were smart enough to realize not to even try baseball where even back ups eventually play college ball. So I'm not for one instant gonna think these other countries have better athletes. If Curtis Samuel, Vonn Bell etc wanted to be soccer players when they made their choices years ago, they'd be mauling these punnies

Go Bucks and michigan STILL SUCKS!

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

No doubt.  We'd be sending Germany back to the Geneva convention.  The rest of Ghana would be buried as bad as Kofi Kingston is right now in WWE.  And the hairlines from Portugal would have no more hairlines.  Then we'd romp Belgium so bad that they'd have to find another name for Belgian waffles.

Class of 2010.

"This tie is one of our greatest wins ever." - E. Gordon Gee

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

"This tie is one of our greatest wins ever." - E. Gordon Gee

One of the dumbest things ever said by a college president, IMHO. My TTUN co-workers gave me shit about that comment for YEARS.

+1 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

I hope we win them all.  I love America.  I respect the athletic prowess of the players.  If you love the game, hats off to you.  I want all sports teams that represent our flag to WIN all of their games/matches.  

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

+6 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

I'll be honest.  I really don't care for soccer. I kind of dislike it in many ways like I dislike Baseball. I don't care for frequent flopping and guys standing at the plate scratching their bags and adjusting their gloves in between every pitch. With that said, I don't go into threads of those sports and bitch about it. If someone asks what I think I will be honest and say I don't care for the sport. In some ways Football is beginning to annoy me, especially the NFL trying to make it a game for everyone to play. It's not for everyone. I've become more of a fan of the NHL in recent years. I guess I'm a brute in some ways, I love physical contact sports.

I haven't watched a single soccer match, and I don't plan on it. I hope I'm not a commie bastard for this.

I also want my daughters to play volleyball, basketball and run track, but if they want to play soccer I will have to learn more about the sport and adapt. Until then long live American Football!

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+3 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I love your passion, The Rill Dill. I didn't start getting into soccer until my daughter started playing a few years back in high school. It is on the upswing in popularity in America, but can't ever seeing it surpassing American football in popularity, unless of course they keep instituting rules on severe hits.

What bothers me is the fact that young boys in America don't seem to be playing baseball, supposedly "America's game," like they used to when I was a kid, and a lot of that is because of soccer. When I was a kid, in the summertime there were ALWAYS kids playing baseball during the day. Most of the ball diamonds I pass now are empty. So sad. And look at the names of MLB players: most of them have foreign surnames.

One thing I don't understand about this game(soccer): Why does the timer count UP instead of down? Drives me nuts.

+1 HS
Denny's picture

Most of the ball diamonds I pass now are empty. So sad. And look at the names of MLB players: most of them have foreign surnames.

You were doing so well, and then there was that last point.

Why does the timer count UP instead of down? Drives me nuts.

Because the clock doesn't stop. Adjustments need to be made for stalling/injuries/goals/etc.

Taquitos.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

My last name is a foreign one and my family has lived in this country for over 100 years.

Everyone that lives in this country is from another country.

CPDenn's picture

And look at the names of MLB players: most of them have foreign surnames.

Nearly 75 percent of the opening day rosters in MLB this year were American born players, so no.

Denny's picture

if they loved america and baseball they would change their name QED

Taquitos.

+1 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

Baseball/Softball still huge in my area of non-european, uneducated, communistic america. Yes there is soccer. But it don't come close to selling seats like HS Football. This being America and all I suppose some people find soccer boring, or just don't care for it or the people who do play and spout off about it like we just don't understand.

We understand it, and we still don't care for it.

"The Past Builds the Future"

Denny's picture

What the hell is a Rill Dill

Taquitos.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

In geomorphology, a "Rill" is a natural fluvial topographic feature. Rills form as the initial signs of erosion as shallow waterways on an exposed slope.

"Dill" (Anethum graveolens) is an annual herb in the celery family Apiaceae

So it's an herb on the side of an eroded waterway maybe?

Jack Fu's picture

Welp, I'm dumber for having read this.

+3 HS
Denny's picture

To see the world this way is to not see it at all; it's an excuse to be small, to stay home, to pass on seeing Paris because you've heard the waiters are jerks.

cf. 

Taquitos.

+1 HS
45OH4IO's picture

Maybe if we still had our "Bucksfan Changing Icon" thread, this entire disaster could have been avoided....

I love watching the World Cup, but how many days 'til fOOtball?

+1 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

All about National pride. I love watching Soccer. Very happy the US advanced, and same with Colombia. Colombia is back on the up and up. I have never shed a tear while watching a sporting event, but I shed one or two when Colombia scored a beautiful second goal against Ivory Coast to put the game away. I love international soccer. Not so much club, but adding in national pride into a sport, going country against country for 90+ minutes gets my blood pumping. I can enjoy the 8-0 victories, the 3-2 victories, the 2-2/1-1 ties and even the 0-0 ties, because I am constantly looking for what is going on in the moment. How many shots have they taken on goal? Are they getting good shots? How is their goalie? Strategy? Movement? passing? Cornerkicks? How powerful are their kicks? Who is lighting up the field? Who is the fastest? All these things make a 0-0 tie very entertaining for me.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Imagine how good Columbia would be with Falcao in the lineup...

I don't know too much about their line up but it seems like they have a lot of stout young talent. They are looking pretty dang good. I think they get past Uruguay without Suarez but Brazil or Chile would be a tough match up.

+1 HS

James for Colombia is a STUD in every sense of the word. Kid can flat out ball. A Suarez-less Uruguay team is a very favorable match-up, and IF we get past them today, Chile/Brazil would make for an AMAZING game. Either way, this world cup is shaping up to be a great one.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Well you got past them... And looked Damn good doing it. You called it with James. Scored two goals today and is leading the tournament. They look pretty a dangerous and I feel like they have a good chance to pull one out against Brazil

+1 HS

I feel the same way. Colombian confidence levels are running high, and it seems like the Brazil of yesteryear is just not there. I mean, Neymar is a beast, but he has been relatively quiet (compared to the hype given to him pre-world cup). Brazil is good, very good in fact, but there are opportunities for Colombia to take this one. Either way, it will be a great game. Not sure how much James can continue balling out, but I hope he can at least get another goal this game to make it 6. I will call it here, Colombia surprises the host nation, 2-1. Goals from James and Armero (or Zuniga), with Hulk scoring for Brazil off a cross from Neymar.

How is that for being specific?

jeremytwoface's picture

I could definitely see that happening.

Brazil seems to be reverting to the Portugal style of play... Give the ball to your star and hope they can do something. I'm not sure that strategy will see them through to the final.

+1 HS
BrooklynBuckeye's picture

Honestly, I haven't read this whole thread, but does everyone know Rill Dill is now famous?:

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-28065500

+5 HS
KB3RG's picture

great find! here is the quote. Free publicity for 11W!

"Never mind the fact that Rill Dill can't even get the US World Cup record right (one win, one loss, one tie), he - and others who took to Twitter and their blogs to proclaim the superiority of US sports - probably should take a step back and think about what they're saying."

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Wow awesome find Brooklyn. Can't believe he made it on the BBC and got ripped on there. Eleven Warriors is going International.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

AndyVance's picture

Holy crap. The Rill Dill thread made the Beeb.

Mind = blown.

jeremytwoface's picture

HAHAHAHAH!!!!

This is so awesome.... I like how they called him a "sports blogger". So is that what all of us posters on here are considered to everyone?

Hey Rill, can I get your autograph?? 

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

I will have to add the title of Sports Blogger onto my resume now. 

+3 HS
RenegadeBuckeye's picture

Considering the English players have nothing to do right now...maybe they would like to post in an Eleven Warriors US vs. Belgium game thread. 

+2 HS
countrybuckeye's picture

I wanna see soccer players versus Aussie Rules football players -- without the bubble-boy spheres.

-1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Is the update to the OP from Rill Dill or the 11W staff??

Jason Priestas's picture

It was from the staff, but the author of the BBC article updated his piece to reflect the fact that this was a forum topic and did not express the opinions of the site, so I removed it.