Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2023 Tailgate Farewell

+31 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
December 27, 2023 at 3:05pm
22 Comments

After nine years, it is time to bid THE adieu. We got this party started in 2015 with a simple recipe for Buffalo Chicken Dip, and it’s been dropping every Thursday during football season ever since. (I’m coming to you a bit early this time, because Little 3M and I are driving down to Arlington tomorrow for the Cotton Bowl.)

It’s been a labor of love, bringing some tasty treats from our homes to yours, and I like to think that the involvement of the Dubbers made this a lot of fun, and also inspired the Official Community Tailgate Cookbook. That’s also about the time I got some partners in crime - Osurox and, the Mod Squad’s resident shoe expert, BuckeyeChief. It's been a great run, but we've posted every recipe we've got and we're not about to start reposting stuff from Pintrest just to make the weekly thread. We like to post things we've already made at home and share them with you. It evolved a bit over time and became a mashup of portable tailgate food and gameday meals to make at home with some drinks and deserts along the way. We hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

But all good things come to an end and, hopefully, Lenny Bruce is still not afraid. For our grand finale, Rox, Chief and I are going to run thru the years, with a favorite recipe from each season. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

My all-time favorite recipe posted was from our inaugural season (and it also made the 11W Cookbook) – Jalapeno Stuffed Pretzel Bombs. These things are a little more on the labor-intensive side, but man are they worth it! You better eat them quickly though, because once your friends and family taste them, they’re going to disappear. (Buckeye3M)

My favorite recipe from 2016 was tough to choose. It was a close contest between Bourbon Baked Beans and Hot Sausage Cheese Dip, but ultimately dip >>> beans. Sorry, not sorry. This dip is ridiculously good, and easily transportable to your tailgate, but use hardy chips, it’s nice and thick. (Buckeye3M)

A personal favorite that we make all the time is The Tasty Wave. This was created during my senior year when we were rummaging around in the fridge looking for anything to eat. What we found was the ingredients for this epic meal! (Osurox)

Unfortunately, a big site update in 2018-19ish wiped out a ton of forum posts and that season’s TGF posts were casualties. So, I’ll use this space to crown the best Community Bye Week Contribution.

Each year during the bye week we turned it over to the community to send us their best stuff.  In 2017, we hit the jackpot with a contribution from NorCal – Smoked Pulled Pork Chili.

A huge thank you to everyone who participated in the Bye Week Extravaganza, it was a lot of fun getting recipes from all of you!

These are a huge hit that we make all the time! I first made these Chicken Bacon Ranch Taquitos when my wife and I were dating in college. (Osurox)

These smoked hamburgers are one of my favorites, because of the combination of smoking and grilling, which is unique for a burger. (BuckeyeChief)

This one was an absolute blast and one of the best things I’ve ever made. I’ve made these Korean Barbequed Beef Short Ribs a few times and can honestly say my recipe is better than a certain chain restaurant in San Diego. When they’re cooked right, these melt like butter. (BuckeyeChief)

This recipe is a classic in our house because it is a great knockoff on one of Mrs 3M’s favorite restaurant appetizers – the pepperoni rolls at Old Chicago. When she found this air fryer recipe for pizza rolls, we tried it and fell in love with them. (Buckeye3M)

I knew that I was starting 2023 off with what would be my favorite recipe of the year. When my buddy sent me this recipe, I knew I was sharing it before I even tried it. These smoked shotgun shells are to die for! Don’t take my word for it, try them and see for yourself. (Buckeye3M)

So, there we have it. This is the end. Beautiful friend, the end.

Let me leave you with a big GO BUCKS! The last time the Buckeyes faced Mizzou your boy 3M was in attendance (in those janky scaffolding south bleachers), so hopefully we’ll get the same result Friday in the Cotton Bowl.

Go Bucks!

Beat Mizzou!

F*ck those cheaters up north!

I’ll see you in the cafeteria.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 22 Comments