Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

2020 TAILGATE FARE WEEK 3 Vs Rutgers: Smoked Hamburgers

+13 HS
BuckeyeChief's picture
November 5, 2020 at 8:52am
72 Comments

Good morning everyone! It is Rutgers week, and I figured what can go better for an evening game than burgers! Thanks to OSUrox for the mummy pizzas last week. 

For this recipe, I used a reverse sear method; first I smoked the burgers, then once they came up to temp, threw them on a hot grill for a few minutes to get some nice grill marks. Now, you may ask yourself why I keep posting recipes that use a smoker. Well, because I love smoking meats! What's that you say, you don't have a smoker? Never fear, good citizen of Buckeye nation! There are a few ways around that!

The first method (assuming you have a charcoal grill) is to use what is called the snake method. Essentially, you build a ring of charcoal on the side of your grill (with a few pieces of smoking wood), light a few charcoal briquettes and then add them to one side of the charcoal ring. 

Second, if you have a gas grill, you can simply take some tin foil, soak some wood chips, throw them in the foil and wrap them up, with a few holes poked in it, and then put this in the middle of your grill so it can get enough heat to set them off to smoke. If you use this method, definitely try this out before you start to cook, in order to perfect it.

Third, you can just buy a pellet tube and use that to produce smoke. Many people in my WSM group use this in their smokers to cold smoke cheese.

Now, the burgers. This recipe works for both turkey and beef. 

• 1 lb. ground turkey/beef
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • Bread Crumbs to bind as needed

Combine all ingredients, form into burger patties, and smoke at 225-250 until they reach your desired temp. I usually shoot for 160, since my family does not like medium beef. If you do turkey, 165 is the desired temp.

Once they are up to temp, pull them and place them on a hot grill (400), and sear both sides for about 2-3 minutes. Once that is done, put them on your favorite bun with your choice of cheese and condiments. 

Enjoy!

2020 TAILGATE FARE WEEK 2 (HALLOWEEN) @ PSU - MUMMY PIZZAS

Previous Years

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 72 Comments