Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2017 Tailgate Fare Week 12

+7 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
November 16, 2017 at 9:04am
15 Comments

The twists and turns of college football in 2017 appear to make the Corkscrew look like the Mine Ride.  I think that the one constant we can rely on in college football is that you’re not in it until you’re out of it.

This week finds me with more work responsibilities, so I have to drop the TGF on you a little early.  So, I’ll make short work of this, just like the Buckeyes will make short work of a very overmatched Fighting Illini Saturday afternoon.

Thank you Seniors, there are guys on this team that people will miss.  A tip of the old sombrero to you!

SOMBRERO DIP

INGREDIENTS

• 1 pound 85% lean ground beef
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 (15.5 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
  • 3/4 cup spicy ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 cup pimento stuffed green olives, chopped
  • 1/2 cup jarred pickled jalapenos, chopped
  • Sliced scallions, for garnish

DIRECTIONS

• Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  • Bring a 10-inch oven safe skillet to high heat. Add beef, onion, and garlic. Crumble beef well and cook until it is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
  • Add beans, and using the back of your spatula, mash them up a bit. Stir in half of the shredded cheese, ketchup, and spices.
  • Top with remaining cheese, chopped olives, and chopped jalapenos, and bake until the cheese has melted and it is super bubbly, about 10 minutes.
  • Top with sliced scallions, and serve with your chip or veggie of choice.

PRO TIPS

• I use a cast iron pan when I make my Sombrero Dip, and the cast iron helps keep the dip hot for a long time, which is a fun presentation.
  • If you don’t have an oven safe skillet, you can easily make the dish in any skillet and transfer to an oven safe casserole dish to finish off the cooking.
  • There are lots of spicy ketchups out there. I use a jalapeno spiced ketchup, but use whatever spicy ketchup suits your fancy!

Previous Editions

Week 1 – Bacon Wrapped Pickles
Week 2 – Chipotle Hummus
Week 3 – Chili Mac
Week 4 – Spinach Dip
Week 5 – Crock Pot Potato Soup
Week 6 – Pretzel Bites
Week 7 – Bacon Cheddar Cheese Dip
Week 8 – Community Extravaganza
Week 9 – Burritos
Week 10 – Hot Corn Dip
Week 11 – Shit on a Shingle

2015 & 2016 Recipes can be found here.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 15 Comments