It was a quiet first year for Ohio State’s freshman class of 2022, but many of those Buckeyes are candidates for breakout seasons in 2023.
That’s what we spend most of our time discussing on this week’s episode of Real Pod Wednesdays.
First, we talk about the impact of a couple of Ohio State football news items that dropped over the past week: The addition of transfer offensive lineman Victor Cutler and the return of sixth-year safety Josh Proctor. Then, we talk about all 21 members of Ohio State’s 2022 class and discuss their outlooks going into their second year as Buckeyes.
The full rundown of this week’s show:
- 1:13: Victor Cutler isn’t the transfer addition we expected, but it’s an addition that makes sense once you dig into it
- 6:41: Cutler’s addition could keep Matt Jones at guard, but expect Ohio State to experiment with different combinations during the spring
- 9:37: Ohio State has already added more transfers than ever before, and that total could increase in May
- 13:07: With Josh Proctor returning, Ohio State has a lot of options to fill its starting safety spots this year
- 17:24: Proctor wouldn’t return if he didn’t think he’d be a starter, but he’s going to have to earn that job
- 20:51: All three returning sixth-year seniors could provide significant value for the 2023 Buckeyes
- 22:32: C.J. Hicks and Sonny Styles have the skill sets to bolster the defense as linebacker/safety hybrids
- 28:31: Devin Brown has a chance to be Ohio State’s most important second-year Buckeye in 2023
- 30:14: Caden Curry looks poised to be the No. 3 defensive end; Kenyatta Jackson and Omari Abor should have opportunities, too
- 32:05: Second-year wide receivers will need big springs to earn playing time on loaded depth chart
- 35:33: Dallan Hayden played the biggest role of any freshman in 2022, yet his role could decrease in 2023
- 38:26: Buckeyes need Tegra Tshabola, George Fitzpatrick, Carson Hinzman to provide offensive line depth
- 41:11: Bennett Christian has a lot of competition at tight end, but his blocking ability gives him a chance to climb depth chart
- 44:37: Gabe Powers, Ryan Turner among freshmen who will have to battle to climb depth chart on defense
- 47:04: Jyaire Brown may be the frontrunner to start opposite Denzel Burke at cornerback
- 49:23: Hero Kanu well-positioned to earn spot on defensive tackle two-deep
- 51:47: Lack of playing time for freshmen in 2022 could hurt the Buckeyes in 2023